Acrylic Mineral Red paint.

Scott

I used Polly Scale mineral red for a long time but my supply is gone.  Does anybody know of a Acrylic equivalent or a recipe of Vallejo, Mission Models, AK etc to get close?  I have Scalecoat Mineral Red and it's fine but want something that dries faster and don't have to spray outside due to fumes.  I don't use Tru-Color much at all.

Scott McDonald

Jerry Michels

This is off topic, but regarding fumes and spraying..  Is particulate matter as bad as fumes?  I don't think any spraying should be done without ventilation.  You may not smell particles, but they are there.  Jerry Michels

lrkdbn

I can't give you a "this is an exact match",but Model Railroad Hobbyist e-magazine has a reference publication on substitutes for Polly Scale from currently available acrylics like Vallejo. Also if you can, try a hobby shop that has paints for military and wargaming modeling. There are many,many lines of acrylic paints out there and lots of interesting colors in the general oxide red category.The very thick acrylics  intended for brush painting like Vallejo Model Colour can be reduced with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner- they recommend about 1 to 1 paint/thinner and about another 10-20% flow improver so it doesn't dry too fast.Of course you need to experiment to find what works with your particular air brush etc.
Larry King

Curt Fortenberry

Ken Adams

This isn't an acrylic,  brush or airbrush solution but you might try Tamiya Red Oxide Primer in a spray can.

I like a darker Freight Car Red to better match the SP FCR color in the 1945-55 period. I use the Tamiya red oxide primer as a base on all freight cars and then brush paint Vallejo Model Color Burnt Red 70.814 for SP cars.

I live in an apartment like townhouse with a constant gusting wind on the 2nd floor deck and an unusable garage for painting (HOA owns the detached garage building not me.) I use a cardboard box spray booth and have to time sprays between the 10-15 mph gusts. It's easier to do with a spray can in the temporary spray set up although I just acquired a new canister USB charging inexpensive air brush and will be experimenting with some spray acrylics.  Prepare the paint and a cleaning fluid in my train room ahead of time and then rush out onto the deck await a lull in the wind then spray and move the model inside quickly to avoid windblown dust and dirt.  It's not a great place for BBQ either. If the wind dies down it gets beastly hot. The wind used to at least clear out the smoke from the brush fires but if last summer is any indicator it will just blow more heavy chocking smoke into the area.

--
Ken Adams

Lester Breuer

Scott here is what I use.  See attached mixes. Hope this helps get to the color you are looking for.
Lester Breuer

Scott

Thanks everybody!  I have some paint on order to try these out.

Scott McDonald

Schuyler Larrabee

Use a mask.  Inhaling particulates is not smart.

Schuyler