Topics

ADVICE FROM THE ESTEEMED GENTLEMAN OF STMFC...

Mansell Peter Hambly

What decal solution should I use to preserve and apply to old decals and I do mean OLD.

I just acquired White's THE GREAT YELLOW FLEET and I faintly recall that this books has some questionable assumptions in it. I would like to know just what caution I should implement when I read this book.

Thank you gentlemen.

Mansell Peter Hambly
COQUITLAM, B.C. CANADA

James Brewer

Mr. Hambly,

I can't comment on Mr. White's book; but regarding decals I have had good success using Microscale Liquid Decal Film.  The directions on the bottle indicate to wait 15 minutes for it to dry before proceeding with your normal decaling procedure; you may want to put an extra coat or two over the initial coat and let dry overnight.  Good luck!

Jim Brewer

Mansell Peter Hambly

Thank you Jim.

Mansell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I can't comment on Mr. White's book; but regarding decals I have had good success using Microscale Liquid Decal Film.  The directions on the bottle indicate to wait 15 minutes for it to dry before proceeding with your normal decaling procedure; you may want to put an extra coat or two over the initial coat and let dry overnight.  Good luck!

Jim Brewer

Tony Thompson

Mansell Peter Hambly wrote:

I just acquired White's THE GREAT YELLOW FLEET and I faintly recall that this books has some questionable assumptions in it. I would like to know just what caution I should implement when I read this book.

      The good news is that Jack White did a great job with the book HE wrote. The bad news is that he had Donald Duke for his publisher. Duke (understandably) didn't like the manuscript tailing off around 1930, so added the later chapters. They are filled with semi-facts and outright errors. Duke also "embellished" the entire book with additional photos, again understandable to make it more attractive, and there are some fine images, but many of his captions are laughable.
       So be careful with any "facts" after 1930 in the book, and do not trust any photo captions. If you want more perspective, both Richard Hendrickson and I wrote separate reviews of the book, and both were published in magazines.

Tony Thompson

Mansell Peter Hambly

Thank you Tony.

[...]

StephenK

One other tip on the decals.   After the Microscale film has fully dried, cut a piece of the sheet that you do not need to see how bad (or good ) the repaired decal is.  Old decals can still be good (Champ) or can totally disintegrate.   Good Luck!

Steve Kay

Mansell Peter Hambly

Thank you Steve