Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)


Bob Chaparro
 

Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)

WPA photo courtesy of TrainWeb.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Robert kirkham
 

The photo shows quite the interesting mix of old and newer equipment.   

Rob

On May 12, 2022, at 9:36 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)
WPA photo courtesy of TrainWeb.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
<dummyfile.0.part>


Steve SANDIFER
 

This photo looks like a model, sharp turnouts and all.

 

 

J. Stephen Sandifer

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 11:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)

 

Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)

WPA photo courtesy of TrainWeb.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Robert kirkham
 

even shows the edge of the layout and the modellers tool bag on the floor beneath it.  

not

Rob

On May 12, 2022, at 3:31 PM, Steve SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

This photo looks like a model, sharp turnouts and all.
 
 
J. Stephen Sandifer
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 11:36 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)
 
Aerial Photo: U.S. Navy Brooklyn Yard (1937)
WPA photo courtesy of TrainWeb.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
<image001.png>



Ray Hutchison
 

Very interesting idea....  we could take photos of our layout, attach the bottom banner (not hard to create, white font on grey background), then we have a new WPA photograph!


Clarence Zink
 

Considering it is a photo taken from a high vantage point, and looking more closely, it is more likely that the leather bag is sitting on a concrete barrier of some sort.  (The edge of a multistory building, for instance.)  Note the dark particles in the grey matrix of the surface the bag is sitting on.  And the straight line from the upper right to the bottom left.  Also what appears to be a shadow to the left of the bag.  The shadow has a very sharp edge, further indicating some sort of sudden drop/barrier.  And notice how the outermost edge of the ties of the farthest right track is cut off by the same straight line that appears to be the edge of the concrete barrier.

CRZ


Robert kirkham
 

Yes, right; the talk about the layout was just a bit of fun

Rob

On May 13, 2022, at 9:51 PM, Clarence Zink <clarence.zink@...> wrote:

Considering it is a photo taken from a high vantage point, and looking more closely, it is more likely that the leather bag is sitting on a concrete barrier of some sort.  (The edge of a multistory building, for instance.)  Note the dark particles in the grey matrix of the surface the bag is sitting on.  And the straight line from the upper right to the bottom left.  Also what appears to be a shadow to the left of the bag.  The shadow has a very sharp edge, further indicating some sort of sudden drop/barrier.  And notice how the outermost edge of the ties of the farthest right track is cut off by the same straight line that appears to be the edge of the concrete barrier.

CRZ


Clarence Zink
 

Not April 1st???  Since getting retired, time has just s l o o o o o w  w   w   e  d way down.

Ha!


Jim Mischke
 



What a fabulous view!

Except for the P&LE long mill gondola in the foreground, the freight cars seem to be government-owned and in rolling parts inventory service.