Airbrush Basics for STMFC Modelers

John Sykes III

I just finished looking at a bunch of YouTube "experts" talking about airbrush basics, since I just bought my first Paasche TGX-Vision airbrush (should be delivered today).  What I realized is that about 1 out of 5 really knew what they were talking about (some, I don't think ever picked-up an airbrush before).  If you have never used an airbrush before, beware of these so-called YouTube experts.  I have been using airbrushes for about 35 years now, and don't consider myself to be an expert, but I am able to pick out misinformation quite easily.  If you are new to the hobby, get someone you know and have seen their work to teach you the basics of using an airbrush.  Otherwise, ruined models may result.  For example, I have always used syphon feed airbrushes (Paasche VL or VLS) and the Vision is a top feed, so I was looking for suggestions on how to handle the difference.  One Aussie YouTuber really seemed to know what he was talking about (even though he is an artist, not a modeler).  I now know that the paint will need to be thinned differently and less air pressure is needed for the top feed brush.  Since we all model railroad equipment that is often only available as kits (and often expensive resin), we are all probably using or should be using airbrushes,  But for the newbie, there is a lot of bad information out there.  If anyone knows of specific YouTubers that cover airbrushing models (preferably model trains) well, let us know, so we can watch.

Scott H. Haycock

Folks,

I've found "The Scale Model Workshop" channel on YouTube  to be a good source for many modeling techniques, including several videos about airbrushes and their use. The host, Paul Budzik is an outstanding modeler who has been sharing tips for years. While he is not specifically a model railroader,  his videos are more about techniques than how-to-build specific models.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 04/16/2021 11:21 AM John Sykes III via groups.io <johnsykesiii@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Scott.  That is the kind of information we need.

-- John

Paul Krueger

Thanks for the tip, Scott.

It looks like he has a list of his videos on his website that makes it easy to find specific topics instead of relying on the YouTube interface.

https://paulbudzik.com/scale-model-workshop-videos/scale-model-workshop-videos.html

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Scott H. Haycock

Paul,
good find!

The video about Masking Techniques should also be watched- especially by diesel painters.

Scott Haycock
ent