All Old Cars go to Alaska

golden1014

Hi Guys,

I thought you'd be interested to hear about the old car I found in Anchorage the other day.

I'm up here on business--been here for a month--and have had some time to get out and do some railfanning on the Alaska RR. I came up here twelve years ago and found a wealth of old cars and other neat stuff. On this trip, I found the usual assortment of Pullman troop sleepers, 50' door-and-a-half boxcars, 1940-built gondolas of various types, and even a 1922-built ACF (?) flat car (it's exactly like the Tichy HO model). Yes, I plan to get these photos up on my PhotoPoint site when I get back home.

When I went out to shoot the flat car, I almost got in a single-car accident when I saw another ancient car in the Anchorage yards. There, in all it's splendor, was an operational ACF 6000 gallon tank car, built 1916. It's in MofW service but looks great and was clearly operational. Yes, I took photos and will get them up too. This car is exactly like the Precision Scale HO model (only the PS model is a 4000 gal version). I just couldn't beleive it...it's got to be the oldest active car on American RRs.

I thought you'd enjoy the story. More to follow!

John Golden

Checked out our PhotoPoint web site yet? Over 750 railroad pictures, documents, models and more have been uploaded since November. Just click here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1187026&Auth=false.

ted_culotta@...

If you can get up to Palmer, there's another old tank car there. I
believe it's a General American that was built in the 1920's. It's
sitting on a piece of track that now connects to nothing in either
direction. I'm sure if you ask around town, someone will be able to
direct you to it.

Just outside Soldotna, there's also an old Bucyrus with a clamshell
bucket loader on it.

Ted Culotta

Richard Hendrickson

John Golden wrote:

I thought you'd be interested to hear about the old car I found in
Anchorage the other day.... There, in all it's splendor, was an
operational ACF 6000 gallon tank car, built 1916. It's in MofW service
but looks great and was clearly operational. Yes, I took photos and will
get them up too. This car is exactly like the Precision Scale HO model
(only the PS model is a 4000 gal version).
I congratulate you on your discovery, John, but there's a bit of confusion
here. The PSC model represents a 6,000 (not 4,000) gal. Van Dyke frameless
tank car, and the last of those were built ca. 1912. If the car was, in
fact, built by AC&F in 1916 and is a former UTL car, it would have to be
one of the Class X cars which were of essentially the same design as the
Van Dyke cars but with a box section steel center sill. I can probably
make a positive ID of the car from your photos. Any chance you could send
them to me directly as attachments?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520