Topics

Aluminum Sleeve Bearings in STMFC

Matt Goodman

All, on another list I subscribe to, there was a discussion of a triangle symbol painted on cars that had lubricating journal pads installed (this was the N&W).

One respondent briefly noted that during a period when the railroad was aggressively seeking reductions in hotboxes on fast tidewater-bound coal trains, they tried various experimental journal devices, one of which was an aluminum sleeve bearing that was applied to some covered hoppers.

I’d be much obliged if someone is able to provide some background on how these functioned, specifically how they were lubricated.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US