From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of irv_thomae
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 9:52 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] An actual Klasing brake wheel

  After spending much too much time studying brake wheels in RP CYC 10 (and addenda in #34) in an effort to get my late 30's-to-mid '41 models right, I have just happened across five very clear photos online of an actual, full size, Klasing brake wheel.   It appears to have had at least a few layers of its rust removed by the antiques dealer who hopes to sell it, and most of its rather elaborate contours seem to be intact.

  You can see it at   <https://www.ebay.com/itm/133735505974> .
   One of the photos clearly shows the following in (cast?) raised letters:

     KLASING
    JOLIET ILL

        646

Enjoy,
Irv

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Irv,

Curious that the seller says it’s “Forged Iron.”  I would expect it to be, and suspect it is, cast iron or steel.  Anyone know how they were produced?  Either way, the photos are interesting.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 07:52 PM, irv_thomae wrote:
  After spending much too much time studying brake wheels in RP CYC 10 (and addenda in #34) in an effort to get my late 30's-to-mid '41 models right, I have just happened across five very clear photos online of an actual, full size, Klasing brake wheel.   It appears to have had at least a few layers of its rust removed by the antiques dealer who hopes to sell it, and most of its rather elaborate contours seem to be intact.

  You can see it at   <https://www.ebay.com/itm/133735505974> .
   One of the photos clearly shows the following in (cast?) raised letters:

     KLASING
    JOLIET ILL

        646

Enjoy,
Irv
Irv and all,

The Klasing wheel in the ebay listing is the last version of the 646 wheel. It is from the late '40s through the '50s till the end of the malleable wheels.

For the late '30s time period, the RCW wheel is the best currently available wheel. Its inner hub area is different, only oblong round holes.

Here are a couple of Klasing wheels from my collection, the ones on the right are as in the ebay listing and the ones on the left are the early '40s version.
These are the 646 style right after the RCW wheel but as yet have not been produced in HO.
Note the more delicate outer spoke area and inner holes are different as compared to the later version.
There is a version between these also. Mid to later '40s. I do not have this version, anyone have one to trade?

Disclaimer, I had something to do with the RPCyc vol. 10 brake gear article.

Hope this helps,
Dan Smith

Scott

Dan,

Do you know the diameter of the Ebay listing wheel?

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM, Scott wrote:
Dan,

Do you know the diameter of the Ebay listing wheel?
22"

With only a small # of early exceptions, all vertical wheel power handbrake wheels are 22". Even today.

Dan Smith