Topics

An image of ACL ventilated boxcars

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

An image of ACL ventilated boxcars is linked below... again, too bad the resolution is a little lacking.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

C J Wyatt

I wonder what the body color was for the original Atlantic Coast Dispatch vent's?

I should know, but it hasn't stuck in my mind. Appreciate it!

Jack Wyatt

Benjamin Hom

Jack Wyatt asked:
"I wonder what the body color was for the original Atlantic Coast Dispatch vent's?"

Yellow, with red herald.

Ben Hom

David Wiggs

Here's a shot on my 2-rail O-Scale RR of an ACL watermelon car.

davo in Orlando

Ray Hutchison

very nice model.  looking at a number of early photographs, what would determine whether the door would open to the right (which we think of as being correct) or opened to the left as shown here)?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 8:31 PM David Wiggs <bigwiggs@...> wrote:
Here's a shot on my 2-rail O-Scale RR of an ACL watermelon car.

davo in Orlando

Benjamin Hom

Ray Hutchison asked:
"Looking at a number of early photographs, what would determine whether the door would open to the right (which we think of as being correct) or opened to the left as shown here)?"

Note that there are two doors but only one 6 ft opening; the usage of the car would determine which door was used.  The ventilator door would be used if the car was running as a ventilated boxcar; the solid door would be used if the car was running as a general service boxcar.  Additionally, the vents on the end could be closed for general boxcar service.

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

I think a better way to phrase the question would be: "What determined whether the solid door was on the right or left?" Examples of both exist, but I've never paid enough attention to determine whether certain roads had a preference, or if it varied over time.

Dennis Storzek

David Wiggs

A buddy of mine built the car from ACL blueprints, so I assume he was correct in building the screen door on the left.  The attached photo also shows it on the left, with the solid door closing the doorway.  BTW, he is the curator at the Hamlet Museum in the old SAL depot and was one of those who constructed the new diarama of the Silver Meteor in 2-rail O-Scale.  A photo he provided is attached; a very nice job indeed.

Larry Wolohon

Rich Yoder brought those out several years ago on O scale & Proto 48.

Larry Wolohon

On 07/06/2020 6:49 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

An image of ACL ventilated boxcars is linked below... again, too bad the resolution is a little l acking.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Donald B. Valentine

Nice model Dave. Can you tell me when the ACL changed from yellow to red for the color of

the roads ventilated boxcars? Never realized the light color seen inn black & white photos

of some early ACL cars was yellow until it was mentioned in an earlier post here this week.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

palmettoltd82

The original ACL Atlantic Coast Despatch paint scheme (yellow ochre body, boxcar red & white herald, black lettering, boxcar red trim) was officially dropped in 1929 in favor of the more cost effective brown with white lettering.  The attached photo of Rich Yoders O-scale O-17 model shows the pre-1929 paint scheme.   The pre-29 paint scheme was also applied to ACL subsidiary roads such as the Washington & Vandermere (with ACD herald) and the Winston-Salem Southbound Rwy (sans ACD herald).  The ACL also modified 50 class O-12 vents for express service. The cars (Nos. 1800-1849) were painted Pullman dark green and lettered in white.  The 0-12s were returned to the freight service with the conversion of the 50 USRA DS rebuilds (1850-1899).  Hope this helps.

David Soderblom

That is an *exquisite* model and finishing job.  Extraordinary.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA

Tony Thompson

      Lovely model and beautiful paint scheme. But if the body color was called "yellow ocher," I would say the model is not that color. Alternatively, if the model is the right color, it should not be called "yellow ocher." I have no idea which one is right.

Tony Thompson

ron christensen

I took this picture of ACL ventilated boxcar at Thomasville GA may 1964.
Ron Christensen

David Wiggs

I thought perhaps they changed from yellow to red when they changed from Atlantic Coast Despatch to Atlantic Coast Line on the cars, but I've got color pictures of ACD cars in yellow and red.  Also, could find no mention of the color change in any of my books on ACL.

davo in Orlando

David Wiggs

Good info.  I could find nothing on it.

davo in Orlando