Topics

An update from Yarmouth Model Works

Pierre Oliver

Please have a look at this blog post for news from Yarmouth Model Works
https://elgincarshops.blogspot.com/2019/08/new-kits-for-fall-of-2019.html

--
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com

Bill Welch

Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

James Brewer

Like Bill, I am excited and glad and N&W B-5 boxcar is being done....but I think it is beautiful, not homely! LOL!  The other kits look great as well.  Thanks for doing all of these cars.

Jim Brewer

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

Roger Huber

I wouldn't car it homely but it is different! Who does the trucks like on the first series photo?

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 07:26:01 AM CDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

Pierre Oliver

Those are the Buckeye Cushion trucks that will be in the kit
They are cast by F&C

On 8/09/19 10:37 a.m., Roger Huber via Groups.Io wrote:

I wouldn't car it homely but it is different! Who does the trucks like on the first series photo?

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 07:26:01 AM CDT, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

Matt Goodman

They look to be just newer than my 1938 modeling time frame. Bummer, but still neat to see steam era N&W cars being done.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On Aug 9, 2019, at 10:14 AM, James Brewer <jim.brewer.3611@...> wrote:

Like Bill, I am excited and glad and N&W B-5 boxcar is being done....but I think it is beautiful, not homely! LOL!  The other kits look great as well.  Thanks for doing all of these cars.

Jim Brewer

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

David

I trust the 49000-series B-5 will come with the Superior door option?

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19398

David Thompson

Pierre Oliver

Well that's the first image to pop up with a Superior door.
Figures

On 8/09/19 6:57 p.m., David via Groups.Io wrote:
I trust the 49000-series B-5 will come with the Superior door option?

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19398

David Thompson

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

It's OK; he'd have to produce a photo of it in service colors, not the builder's whitewash. Otherwise, he'd have to model it in whitewash. LOL!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

On 8/9/19, 6:19 PM, "Pierre Oliver" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io on behalf of pierre.oliver@...> wrote:

Well that's the first image to pop up with a Superior door.
Figures

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On 8/09/19 6:57 p.m., David via Groups.Io wrote:
> I trust the 49000-series B-5 will come with the Superior door option?
>
> https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19398
>
> David Thompson

David

It was on the last 50 cars; here are some general drawings:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=5708
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=5709

David Thompson

mopacfirst

Different issue -- does this car have a steeper roof slope than normal?  Or is that an illusion?

Ron Merick

David

Yeah, I think it does.?? End drawing for 49500-49999 here:
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=20569

Compare to 48000-48999:
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=4113

David Thompson

David

It's OK; he'd have to produce a photo of it in service colors, not the builder's whitewash.
Lol, here you go:
https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns2910

David Thompson

Tim O'Connor

I love the B-5 too, although I hesitate to call it the most homely. There
are plenty of candidates for that title! :-D

Photos shows the B-5's with at least FIVE different trucks

1. Buckeye, that Pierre mentioned (date 1956)
2. Allied Full Cushion (1951)
3. National Type B (date 1959)
4. AAR trucks - no spring plank, widely spaced two front springs (1942 builder, etc)
5. AAR trucks - no spring plank, three front springs (1941 builder)

Tim

On 8/9/2019 10:14 AM, James Brewer wrote:
Like Bill, I am excited and glad and N&W B-5 boxcar is being done....but I think it is beautiful, not homely! LOL!  The other kits look great as well.  Thanks for doing all of these cars.

Jim Brewer

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Very excited about the N&W B5, arguably the most homely boxcar ever built. thank you for doing them Pierre.

Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

fyi

On 8/9/2019 7:19 PM, Pierre Oliver wrote:
Well that's the first image to pop up with a Superior door.
Figures

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com

On 8/09/19 6:57 p.m., David via Groups.Io wrote:
I trust the 49000-series B-5 will come with the Superior door option?

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=19398

David Thompson
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

UNCLE!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

On 8/9/19, 8:47 PM, "David via Groups.Io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io on behalf of jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> It's OK; he'd have to produce a photo of it in service colors, not the
> builder's whitewash.

Lol, here you go:
https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns2910

David Thompson

Roger Huber

The car with the trucks I was asking about is the one on the blog #48826. Very strange trucks I am not familiar with.

Inline image

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 09:15:12 PM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Some of them had roofs that looked a LOT like PRR X37 or X38 roofs with
the indentation for the laterals.

Some appear to have ordinary SRE (rectangular panel) roofs [attached photo]

Tim O'Connor

On 8/9/2019 9:11 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
Different issue -- does this car have a steeper roof slope than normal?  Or is that an illusion?

Ron Merick

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Buckeye trucks. The PRR had them as well. F&C makes castings for them.

On 8/9/2019 10:26 PM, Roger Huber via Groups.Io wrote:
The car with the trucks I was asking about is the one on the blog #48826. Very strange trucks I am not familiar with.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

On Friday, August 9, 2019, 09:15:12 PM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I love the B-5 too, although I hesitate to call it the most homely. There
are plenty of candidates for that title! :-D

Photos shows the B-5's with at least FIVE different trucks

1. Buckeye, that Pierre mentioned (date 1956)
2. Allied Full Cushion (1951)
3. National Type B (date 1959)
4. AAR trucks - no spring plank, widely spaced two front springs (1942 builder, etc)
5. AAR trucks - no spring plank, three front springs (1941 builder)

Tim

Sterling, Massachusetts

Roger Huber

Tim,

I can't see them on the F&C site. Could you provide some other info?