Topics

Ancient Tank Cars & Impatient Modelers

Shawn Beckert

Richard chides me:

Damn, Shawn, the glass is only half full...
Yes, I know...I'm the quintessential Baby Boomer.
"I want it all - and I want it now." Living here
in La La Land probably has had an influence as well.

We've already talked about the Tichy/IM kitbash to
produce models of the War Emergency USG-A class
cars; I know this works because I've already done
one.
I somehow missed this exchange, so I'll have to bug
you for a crash course on how to do the kitbash. I
seem to recall there's a way to turn this combination
into one of the SHPX series of tank cars as well?

Athearn's "chemical" tank can be shortened(getting
rid of the grotesquely oversize valve casing)and
made into a tank for an insulated ICC-103/ICC-104,if
a suitable insulated dome is fabricated for it.
Now this is something I'd like to see happen. I bought
more than a few of the Athearn kits back when I had no
idea there was no prototype. I'd like the opportunity
to salvage at least part of my investment on those. The
tank length I can probably find out with some serious
research. Cutting the tank down to size would best be
done with a mitre box, no?

What needs to be done for the dome? Without pictures in
front of me, I'll guess it needs to be somewhat larger,
maybe 60", and have an edge or "lip" around the top. Can
this be done to Tichy's dome from the detail pack? Or
maybe accomplished with a wrap of very thin sheet plastic
around an existing dome. I imagine the next step would be
to fabricate the correct safety valves and associated
hardware. Hmmmm, I can see myself seriously pursuing this,
since I've got the raw materials sitting in the closet.
More updates on this as events unfold....

Shawn Beckert

thompson@...

Shawn B. asks:
What needs to be done for the dome? Without pictures in
front of me, I'll guess it needs to be somewhat larger,
maybe 60", and have an edge or "lip" around the top...
I imagine the next step would be
to fabricate the correct safety valves and associated
hardware.
You are thinking of a tank like an ICC 104, Shawn, not the pressure tank
of the ICC 105 type which the Athearn was apparently aimed at. In these
high-pressure tanks, there is no expansion dome as such. The part that
sticks up is, as Richard mentioned, really a valve casing, with controls
inside for loading and unloading operations. The Athearn version of this is
at least double the correct size (yet another sign that they just blew up a
6000-gal. or some other smaller size prototype to fit their 40-ft.
underframe).
Probably the simplest fix is to replace the Athearn part with something
around half or less of its size. Frank Hodina made patterns for these some
years ago, and I've converted a few Athearns this way. But serious problems
remain. The Athearn tank has a riveted-car bottom sheet; it is the
equivalent of about an 11,000 gallon jacketed tank, a peculiar size with
few if any prototypes; and the platform and railing are as grossly out of
scale as is the valve casing. At the very least, I'd sand off the bottom
sheet rivets and scratch a new platform and railing. The size remains an
issue.

Shawn Beckert

Tony Thompson wrote:

You are thinking of a tank like an ICC 104, Shawn,
not the pressure tank of the ICC 105 type which
the Athearn was apparently aimed at. In these high
pressure tanks, there is no expansion dome as such.
The part that sticks up is, as Richard mentioned,
really a valve casing, with controls inside for
I understand your point, Tony, and I too feel that the
Athearn kit is a crude attempt at an ICC-105 pressure
car. But if I'm interpreting Richard correctly(and who
knows, I may not be)what he was suggesting was to try
and turn the kit into an ICC-104 insulated car by
discarding the valve casing and shortening the tank.
Granted, the tank may be too large in diameter anyway.
I don't know how many 11,000 gallon tank cars were made
out there in the real world, insulated or not. Making
the proper dome might not be so hard, but if the tank
is too large, all that effort would be for nothing.

Shawn Beckert

Ted Culotta <ted@...>

For all of you tank car kitbashing masochists, there was a great article in
Mainline about 15 years ago by Mark Feddersen about how to kitbash the
Athearn chemical tank car into an accurate prototype (ICC-105, I believe -
unlike Richard, I actually need to have the reference material in front of
me to speak with any authority about tank cars, and not very well at that).
At any rate, it was a really good drill into how to kitbash the cars. At
the very least it's a great modeling article. The issue had a picture of a
gray DuPont tank car on the cover (and no, I don't have the date in front of
me - can someone else furnish that info?)

By the way, I rank Feddersen's article as one of the top kitbashing articles
I have ever read, along with Don Munson's (also from Mainline) about using
two Athearn composite hoppers to make a N&W H-4.

Ted

[...]

If I had caught up with my email before posting, I would have seen this.
Shawn's description is the Feddersen article (so I was wrong... it's a 104
instead of a 105 :-) )

Ted Culotta said:
For all of you tank car kitbashing masochists, there was a great article in
Mainline about 15 years ago by Mark Feddersen...
By the way, I rank Feddersen's article as one of the top kitbashing articles
I have ever read, along with Don Munson's (also from Mainline) about using
two Athearn composite hoppers to make a N&W H-4.
Ted is exactly right about Feddersen's article. Can't comment on the
Munson piece, as I really don't speak "hopper."