Topics

Another Athearn 40' Flat Prototype [Was Rutland flatcar with trailer load]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

While looking through my New England photos for other surviving examples of the Rutland 2700-series flat cars, I chanced upon another 11-pocket flat car. This one is in company service on the Conway Scenic Railway, and is lettered GT 54559.

A photo of the car is attached, along with Steamtown's Rutland 2777 for comparison. The GT car has a channel end sill, while the Rutland car has a flat plate. Otherwise they are similar. Some styrene strip and a new deck could make the Athearn car a close match.

I'm not sure whether the GT lettering on this car is correct. In my 1958 ORER, there is no longer a separate GT reporting mark, only CN, and no number like this exists. Maybe it is older, or maybe it is fake lettering on somebody else's car. Any ideas?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Eric Hansmann

The sidesills on those flats are slightly different. The sidesills on the GT car are deeper than those on the Rutland car. This also affects the angles of the fishbelly appearance.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On January 13, 2020 at 3:09 AM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

While looking through my New England photos for other surviving examples of the Rutland 2700-series flat cars, I chanced upon another 11-pocket flat car. This one is in company service on the Conway Scenic Railway, and is lettered GT 54559.

A photo of the car is attached, along with Steamtown's Rutland 2777 for comparison. The GT car has a channel end sill, while the Rutland car has a flat plate. Otherwise they are similar. Some styrene strip and a new deck could make the Athearn car a close match.

I'm not sure whether the GT lettering on this car is correct. In my 1958 ORER, there is no longer a separate GT reporting mark, only CN, and no number like this exists. Maybe it is older, or maybe it is fake lettering on somebody else's car. Any ideas?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Marty McGuirk

With the obvious exception of the number of stake pockets, the GT car does look very similar to Central Vermont 4287 ( http://centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com/2018/08/wordless-wednesday-199.html) which is on display in Willimantic.

On January 13, 2020 at 7:08 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

mofwcaboose <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

Most likely the car GT 54559 was in company service, like GTW  flat cars in this number series. As was the case with most other railroads, CNR and its associated lines did not list company service equipment in the ORER. The only way to distinguish flat cars in company service from revenue cars was by the number,  as the cars were not otherwise marked.

John C, La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

While looking through my New England photos for other surviving examples of the Rutland 2700-series flat cars, I chanced upon another 11-pocket flat car. This one is in company service on the Conway Scenic Railway, and is lettered GT 54559.

A photo of the car is attached, along with Steamtown's Rutland 2777 for comparison. The GT car has a channel end sill, while the Rutland car has a flat plate. Otherwise they are similar. Some styrene strip and a new deck could make the Athearn car a close match.

I'm not sure whether the GT lettering on this car is correct. In my 1958 ORER, there is no longer a separate GT reporting mark, only CN, and no number like this exists. Maybe it is older, or maybe it is fake lettering on somebody else's car. Any ideas?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Dave Parker

I think the MW just above the left-hand grab provides a pretty clear clue concerning company service versus interchange.

Whether the paint scheme actually represents a prototype car from "back in the day", I can't say.  The history of the GT and CN in northern New England is fairly convoluted, further muddying the waters.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Greg Martin

Eric do you have plans?

Greg Martin

[...]

Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Eric Hansmann

No. I have no plans. Attached are a couple pages from a March 1924 NYC freight car diagram book documenting these flat cars. General drawing numbers are listed for a few. Roger Hinman covered these in his NYC steel flat car presentation at one of the recent RPM Chicagoland events.

I started modifying a Tichy flat car to follow the NYC cars. I haven’t gotten around to creating the fishbelly sidesill in styrene. Ryan Mendell was selling resin fishbelly side sills at the recent RPM Chicagoland. These are intended to modify the Tichy boom car kits. I picked up a set as they might work for these NYC flat cars. Just need to add more stake pockets.

https://nationalscalecar.com/product/mk103-fish-belly-side-sills-for-tichy-boom-car/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: Eric Hansmann <eric@...>

Date: 1/13/20 6:08 AM (GMT-06:00)

[...]

Dave and Friends,

I just found a photo of a similar GT flat car in TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA NO. 35 (reprint of the 1919 CBD), page 326. Grand Trunk 69611 has a lettering layout that mirrors the car on at North Conway, though a bit simpler. This car depicted even has the little up-slope to the very end of the side sills. Sadly, it has only 10 stake pockets. I would not be surprised if this was a standard, but evolving, CN design ordered in similar lots for their subsidiary lines, as well as possibly for the CN itself. Maybe our Canadian members can shed more light on these cars.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:53 PM Dave Parker via Groups.Io <spottab=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think the MW just above the left-hand grab provides a pretty clear clue concerning company service versus interchange.

Whether the paint scheme actually represents a prototype car from "back in the day", I can't say.  The history of the GT and CN in northern New England is fairly convoluted, further muddying the waters.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Richard McQuade

Some years ago Stafford Swain wrote an article about modifying the Athearn 40' flat into one of the first steel flatcars built by GTR. There might be somebody in this group who has the issue of CN Lines magazine that featured that article. Sorry but I don't.
Richard

Steve SANDIFER

Here are two other views of the Rutland 2777.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

Jim,

Nice photos. Thanks. Did you notice how the weight data is crooked? And there is no car length or repack data. So much for restoration accuracy. Oy vey! Steamtown is, after all, a government agency.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆