From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Remiarz
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:58 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Another Postwar Boxcar

I have continued with my efforts building and detailing plastic freight car kits.  NYC 165138 is a Branchline AAR Postwar boxcar kit.  I remember when these kits first came out. The detailing was so good that I built them stock and added them to the layout, trying to build up a large enough freight car roster for operations.  With now 400+ freight cars now operating on the layout, I can spend some additional time on freight cars, adding appropriate details to better match the prototype.

NYC 165138 represents a Lot 763-B car built in April 1946.  To better match the prototype I added poling pockets and roping rings (DA 6214). I used DA coupler cut bars, Kadee#158 scale couplers and 2003 roof walk, IM 0.088 wheelsets, and HiTech Details 6040 air hoses and brackets.  The Klasing brake wheel and brake housing are from Resin Car Works, via Shapeways.

Weathering was done using Pan Pastel Red Iron Oxide Extra Dark, Neutral Grey Shade, and Black, and Polly Scale Rust paint.  Chalk marks and repack data is Sunshine Models decals.  The reweigh data is from Speedwitch D107 NYC 40' Boxcars.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Paul Doggett

Looks really great
Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 17 Nov 2020, at 18:58, Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Tony Thompson

 Nice upgrade to the appearance, Rich, fine model. Needs a route card, though <g>.

Tony Thompson

Richard Remiarz

Tony,

You are correct.  I realized that after taking the photos.  Route cards will be added today.  I had been adding them with small pieces of white decals at the same time as adding chalk marks, but sometimes they would show woodgrain or the groove between boards on the route card holder, so I am going to try thin paper.

Sincerely,
Rich Remiarz

Rich Remiarz wrote:

You are correct.  I realized that after taking the photos.  Route cards will be added today.  I had been adding them with small pieces of white decals at the same time as adding chalk marks, but sometimes they would show woodgrain or the groove between boards on the route card holder, so I am going to try thin paper.

     I have occasionally used decals for this, but prefer thin paper, white or yellow or manila. Grab a dot of the canopy glue and you're done <g>.

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee

Very good-looking car, Rich.

Schuyler

[...]

NYC Postwar boxcar with route cards.  Tony is correct.  It does’t take much effort to add route cards, but it adds to the prototype look of the car.  I went back to check and saw I missed the route cards on the last few cars I built, ever since I stopped using decals for the route cards.  They have now been added.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You are correct.  I realized that after taking the photos.  Route cards will be added today.  I had been adding them with small pieces of white decals at the same time as adding chalk marks, but sometimes they would show woodgrain or the groove between boards on the route card holder, so I am going to try thin paper.

     I have occasionally used decals for this, but prefer thin paper, white or yellow or manila. Grab a dot of the canopy glue and you're done <g>.

Tony Thompson

Eric Hansmann

Very nice work, Rich. The newer weigh data and repack stencils are outstanding.

On wood sheathed cars, those route cards could be found in many locations. There were also plenty of card remnants left behind. I pointed these out in a blog post a couple years ago.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2018/09/14/weathering-ideas/

These are easy to add and usually one of the final weathering steps on my models.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Eric Hansmann wrote:

On wood sheathed cars, those route cards could be found in many locations. There were also plenty of card remnants left behind. I pointed these out in a blog post a couple years ago.

      Anyone who has not looked at this very nice post should do so. The prototype photos are quite interesting.

Tony Thompson

James Brewer

Rich,

A nice build; great weathering and paint patches.

Jim Brewer