Topics

Anyone Want A First Generation SFRD Mechanical Reefer?

Bob Chaparro

Anyone Want A First Generation SFRD Mechanical Reefer?

I am good friends with a person working for a major model manufacturer. His area of expertise is product development.

For years he and I have been discussing the possibility of bringing to market an accurate HO scale first generation SFRD mechanical refrigerator car. The cut-off year would be 1960.

The car would be produced in styrene and probably only in R-T-R form.

From our discussions this project almost came to fruition a few years ago but stalled due to competition from other projects.

Times have changed and now this has become a real possibility.

There are "foobie" cars offered by Athearn and Walthers, but I share a belief with others that there is a market for a more accurate car.

First, I want to hear from you which first generation mechanical reefer is of most interest to you and specifically why you are interested in a particular car.

Your choices are the following SFRD classes:

Rr-31 (5 cars - 1955)

Rr-54 (30 cars - 1953

Rr-56 (150 cars -1955)

Rr-60 (25 Cars - 1958

Rr-61 (25 Cars - 1958)

Rr-65 (100 cars - 1960)

Rr-66 (100 cars - 1960)

I'm fairly certain there are builder's drawings of all these classes but that will need to be verified.

Factors influencing the manufacturer's decision will be how many paint/repaint schemes are possible (including MOW), and cost of modifying the tooling to produce insulated boxcar versions and cars representing other railroads.

Once the manufacturer selects one of these choices I will ask you to submit your photos, especially those with dates, so the manufacturer can evaluate paint schemes and modifications to the as-built prototype.

If there is enough good prototype information available there is a real probability a specific car will be produced.

Thank you.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Scott Kremer

I have been talking to various manufacturers for years to try to get anyone to build a first generation mechanical reefer. I model GN/WFEX but I will take anything. The Rr-56 seems to me to be the obvious choice. Not only is it the biggest lot but to those of us that try to stay true a time frame It is the earliest large lot. That means that anyone modeling after 1954 can use the car. if you pick a later date I am out as I model October ,1955. Earlier would also be OK. This would be great.

Thanks,

Scott Kremer

Tim O'Connor

This poll reminds me of practically the same poll taken some time ago, asking us
which early Santa Fe mechanical we wanted. I think I voted for the "weird" cars -
the Santa Fe built some cars with 52 ft or 54 ft length, not like anyone else's.

Different length cars must have made warehouse owners really happy trying to get
a string of cars parked in front of their loading doors! :-D

IMO this will never happen unless someone does it in resin or 3-D.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/4/2020 2:29 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

Anyone Want A First Generation SFRD Mechanical Reefer?

I am good friends with a person working for a major model manufacturer. His area of expertise is product development.

For years he and I have been discussing the possibility of bringing to market an accurate HO scale first generation SFRD mechanical refrigerator car. The cut-off year would be 1960.

The car would be produced in styrene and probably only in R-T-R form.

From our discussions this project almost came to fruition a few years ago but stalled due to competition from other projects.

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

But Tim,

Didn't C&BT shops do at least one of the SFRD Mechanicals, or were they just plug door rebuilds of earlier classes? I bought a couple of their swing-door cars before Long's had Intermountain make theirs. The plug door cars were too modern for my interests at the time. The C&BT cars had some problems with the add-on parts (especially overly wide running boards), but IIRC the bodies and roof castings weren't all that bad. At least one of my pair was finished with IM parts.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 2:37 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

From our discussions this project almost came to fruition a few years ago but stalled due to competition from other projects.

[...]

Yes, this is similar to the previous poll I did.
And at the time my friend/contact worked for a different manufacturer and had the project on the table for approval. Then he and a number of others working in the model railroad division of this unnamed company were abruptly fired.
He is now with other company and they are looking to expand their offerings.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Then I respectively submit that would be a poor choice for a small model railroad vendor
to try and bring out in RTR plastic. There are much better (easier to sell) choices. But
the pre-1960 world of freight cars has better coverage than the post-1960 world. Think of
it - 1900 to 1960 is STMFC, and we have now reached the 60th post-1960 year! :-)

Tim O'

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Charlie Vlk

All-
Why do an interchange freight car prototype that had a hundred or less examples?
Have we completely run out of missed cars with broader multi road application?
I don’t think we have many production single sheathed door and a half box cars and many of them had very long service lives and numbered in the thousands on many lines...and went all over.
Charlie Vlk

Don’t be fooled by the Lionel F3 syndrome- while a great railroad with attractive equipment, nothing else sells like it without Warbonnet paint....ATSF freight units sell about the same as high middle other roads. Even a ATSF layout might not “need” a scarce car that was quickly obsoleted.

Tim O'Connor

Not to mention the UNION TANK CAR UTLX X-1 tank cars!! AAARGH!

:-D

On 4/5/2020 2:31 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:
All-
Why do an interchange freight car prototype that had a hundred or less examples?
Have we completely run out of missed cars with broader multi road application?
I don’t think we have many production single sheathed door and a half box cars and many of them had very long service lives and numbered in the thousands on many lines...and went all over.
Charlie Vlk

Don’t be fooled by the Lionel F3 syndrome- while a great railroad with attractive equipment, nothing else sells like it without Warbonnet paint....ATSF freight units sell about the same as high middle other roads. Even a ATSF layout might not “need” a scarce car that was quickly obsoleted.
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Armand Premo

Missing car  ?  A Magor 70 ton side dump car. Armand Premo

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:05 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Not to mention the UNION TANK CAR UTLX X-1 tank cars!! AAARGH!

:-D

On 4/5/2020 2:31 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:
> All-
> Why do an interchange freight car prototype that had a hundred or less examples?
> Have we completely run out of missed cars with broader multi road application?
> I don’t think we have many production single sheathed door and a half box cars and many of them had very long service lives and numbered in the thousands on many lines...and went all over.
> Charlie Vlk
>
> Don’t be fooled by the Lionel  F3 syndrome-  while a great railroad with attractive equipment, nothing else sells like it without Warbonnet paint....ATSF freight units sell about the same as high middle other roads.  Even a ATSF layout might not “need” a scarce car that was quickly obsoleted.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Missing Car? AC&F 10K high-walkway tank car.

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:50 AM Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:
Missing car  ?  A Magor 70 ton side dump car. Armand Premo

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:05 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Not to mention the UNION TANK CAR UTLX X-1 tank cars!! AAARGH!

:-D

On 4/5/2020 2:31 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:
> All-
> Why do an interchange freight car prototype that had a hundred or less examples?
> Have we completely run out of missed cars with broader multi road application?
> I don’t think we have many production single sheathed door and a half box cars and many of them had very long service lives and numbered in the thousands on many lines...and went all over.
> Charlie Vlk
>
> Don’t be fooled by the Lionel  F3 syndrome-  while a great railroad with attractive equipment, nothing else sells like it without Warbonnet paint....ATSF freight units sell about the same as high middle other roads.  Even a ATSF layout might not “need” a scarce car that was quickly obsoleted.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bob Chaparro

Comments and questions from David North...

I model 1985 and was re-reading Stephen Priest’s boxcar book and remembered that most of the reefer classes that Bob mentioned were converted to boxcars around 1979.

Rr-54 converted to Bx-201          over 9 cars 1979-1987

Rr-56 converted to Bx-202           over 67 cars 1979-1987

Rr-60 converted to Bx-203           over 6 cars 1979-1987

Rr-61 converted to Bx-204           over 15 cars 1979-1987

Rr-65 converted to Bx-205           over 40 cars 1979-1987

Rr-66 converted to Bx-195*         over 600 cars 1979-1991

*Bx-195 class consisted of Rr-66, 69 & 71 conversions

So I’d be happy with any of the above classes, provided the body mods were minimal.

Does anyone know what body modifications were made when the cars were converted?

Cheers

Dave

Tim O'Connor

Bob you need to move your questions to another group - Some of these cars
didn't exist in the STMFC era which ends with 1960.

I could help you, but not here. ;-)

On 4/9/2020 12:40 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

[...]

charles slater

Bob I think the Rr-56 would be the best one. There were more of them and 1955 would catch more modelers, and they lasted as box cars in the Bx-202 class until the 1980's.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook