Topics

Apparently, Boston & Maine boxcars made it to Florida

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Apparently, Boston & Maine boxcars made it to Florida, even at this early date!

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Bill Welch

Why would they not?

Bill Welch

radiodial868

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Brian Carlson

A B&M boxcar in Seattle or LA doesn’t mean the contents were from an industry on the B&M.

Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:59 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Rick Naylor

I think it is more helpful to guide new members to the discussion rather than be so rude as to tell someone it was discussed years ago, and not tell them where!

A B&M boxcar in Seattle or LA doesn’t mean the contents were from an industry on the B&M.

Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:59 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Dave Parker

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 08:47 AM, Brian Carlson wrote:
Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.
I would agree with that statement if you added the caveat "From WWII onward,....".

We've discussed this as well, i.e., the onset of national pooling during the war, and the subsequent relevance of the Gilbert-Nelson approach to fleet composition.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bruce Smith

Rick,

The thing is, it has been discussed repeatedly so it is all over the archives… not in just one location. For starters, if you want to try to find the information, search “Boxcar distribution” or “Nelson Gilbert”. Pull up a chair and a beverage…

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:56 AM, Rick Naylor <thehobbystop@...> wrote:

I think it is more helpful to guide new members to the discussion rather than be so rude as to tell someone it was discussed years ago, and not tell them where!

A B&M boxcar in Seattle or LA doesn’t mean the contents were from an industry on the B&M.

Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:59 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Rick Naylor

That is much more healpful, I have followed this group for many years and I would have only known to search for routing. But I'll look at the other listings as well.

A B&M boxcar in Seattle or LA doesn’t mean the contents were from an industry on the B&M.

Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:59 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Brian Carlson

Not intending to be rude.

go to the search box on Groups.io ad start with "Gilbert-Nelson"

You can branch off from there.

Brian Carlson

Richard Townsend

Quite true. But to stimulate RJ's imagination, a couple of possibilities are specialty mechanical equipment of some kind, made only by a manufacturer in New England, or specialty paper made only in a New England paper mill.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

A B&M boxcar in Seattle or LA doesn’t mean the contents were from an industry on the B&M.

Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 8, 2020, at 10:59 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.
--
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Tony Thompson

R J Dial wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.

     You're assuming they were loaded by the home road and sent to the West Coast. More likely they were loaded SOMEWHERE in the U.S. and sent there. For example, the car in Seattle might have come from LA or Houston. Car Service Rules would not encourage westward movements of those cars, of course, but after WW II, the AAR surveys found that only about 2/3 of car movements were in accord with those Rules, so there is a lot of scope for "exceptions," though they really are not even exceptions.

Tony Thompson

erieblt2

Naval shipyard Bremerton received naval supplies(valves, piping turbine parts, etc. from naval assets in the east. All GE turbines/parts came out of Lynn, and Fitchburg Massachusetts. ‘Yard Bird’ Bill S.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 08:47 AM, Brian Carlson wrote:
Boxcars were quite free roaming as has been discussed on the list for years.
I would agree with that statement if you added the caveat "From WWII onward,....".

We've discussed this as well, i.e., the onset of national pooling during the war, and the subsequent relevance of the Gilbert-Nelson approach to fleet composition.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Allan Smith

I have Conductors lists from 1954 on the Sierra and a B&M 74195 came unto the Sierra at Oakdale Ca. 5-28-54 from the SP out of Stockton Ca Empty. So I don't know what load brought it to the SP.  The Sierra sent the car back to the SP on 6-2-54 loaded with lumber for Armory Mass. B&M 74195 series 74000-74499 PS-1 9-47 lot 5877 7' 7P Sup1 door. So you can see that these cars went everywhere and you could add one to your RR.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:22:57 AM PDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

R J Dial wrote:

I've seen pics of BAR and B&M boxcars in LA and Seattle. Stuck in my mind as always wondered what would be shipped from corner to corner of the US like that. They may have been WWII photos, but can't recall for sure.

     You're assuming they were loaded by the home road and sent to the West Coast. More likely they were loaded SOMEWHERE in the U.S. and sent there. For example, the car in Seattle might have come from LA or Houston. Car Service Rules would not encourage westward movements of those cars, of course, but after WW II, the AAR surveys found that only about 2/3 of car movements were in accord with those Rules, so there is a lot of scope for "exceptions," though they really are not even exceptions.

Tony Thompson

Douglas Harding

Back in the day New England was a hotbed of manufacturing and textile mills. Think Stanley tools for example. These items were shipped all over the country. And they were shipped in boxcars, most likely New England road boxcars.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Doug Harding wrote:

Back in the day New England was a hotbed of manufacturing and textile mills. Think Stanley tools for example. These items were shipped all over the country. And they were shipped in boxcars, most likely New England road boxcars.

     Good example, and the railroad serving Stanley would have wanted to provide good service, thus possibly a Grade A home-road box car. But that yardmaster, having a Stanley request for an empty to, say, Seattle, would be looking at his western-road empties -- or midwestern roads, so the load could be routed via them.
       He almost certainly wouldn't use a New England road car if his railroad interchanged with that road, because he could send it home directly via the nearest interchange. Of course, in boom times, cars were in short supply and you would use ANY car you could find.

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee

Of course, Stanley was and is located in Connecticut, so a New Haven box car would be more likely . . .

Schuyler

Back in the day New England was a hotbed of manufacturing and textile mills. Think Stanley tools for example. These items were shipped all over the country. And they were shipped in boxcars, most likely New England road boxcars.

     Good example, and the railroad serving Stanley would have wanted to provide good service, thus possibly a Grade A home-road box car. But that yardmaster, having a Stanley request for an empty to, say, Seattle, would be looking at his western-road empties -- or midwestern roads, so the load could be routed via them.

       He almost certainly wouldn't use a New England road car if his railroad interchanged with that road, because he could send it home directly via the nearest interchange. Of course, in boom times, cars were in short supply and you would use ANY car you could find.

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan

Or a load of canned cranberry sauce, or sardines (from Maine) or B&M Baked Beans (num, num, good!)!

Todd Sullivan

Andy Brusgard

Potatoes!!!

Doug Paasch

They wouldn't ship spuds or cranberries from Maine to the west coast as Washington and Idaho are spud country, and Washington and Oregon grow cranberries (Ocean Spray).  But B&M beans are THE best and certainly were shipped to the west!

Paper not likely as Washington had gobs of paper mills.  But I have been looking at how to justify a BAR reefer and some BM cars to appear on my Seattle layout and any more ideas would be welcome.  All I can think of for a BAR reefer is fresh lobster?  I like the idea of the BM car carrying B&M beans to some grocery distributors, too.

  Doug Paasch

On Jul 8, 2020 5:05 PM, "Andy Brusgard" <ajb1102@...> wrote:
Potatoes!!!

Tony Thompson

Doug Paasch wrote:

I have been looking at how to justify a BAR reefer and some BM cars to appear on my Seattle layout and any more ideas would be welcome.  All I can think of for a BAR reefer is fresh lobster?  I like the idea of the BM car carrying B&M beans to some grocery distributors, too.

    Remember that for awhile in the '50's BAR loaned its reefers to PFE from June 1 to October 1. So there you are! California vegetable or oranges, fresh to Seattle!

Tony Thompson