Bob Chaparro

Armour & Company Reefer 8644

Circa 1926 photos of an Armour reefer:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-12-19/X4863.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-12-19/X4864.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-12-19/X4865.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-12-19/X4866.jpg

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

There are no trucks under the car so it was being used for storage. The roof appears to have debris on it, also.

Note the warning poster. I've seen other copies of this same poster in various old photos.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David Soderblom

A lovely scene.  The car is on blocks, yet retains all its fittings (brake hose, coupler, …).  And then there’s the siding.  I would love to see someone reproduce that sketchy track, with its odd angles and eroded dirt “ballast.”

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA

Bob Chaparro

I received this comment from someone:
"Note that they apparently sawed off a couple feet of running boards at the end, leaving the braces dangling.  But the remainder seems intact.  Also they removed the corner platforms, and then just dumped them on the roof!  Didn't even bother to drop them to the ground and haul them off, so it seems this reefer was prepared to return to revenue service quickly if needed."
Anyone agree? I certainly do not.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

What struck me was that the stirrups were removed and reattached, inverted and tucked inside the grab irons.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR