Topics

Article: 40-Foot Mather Stock Cars From Proto 2000 HO Scale Kits

Bob Chaparro

Courtesy of Train Life, here is a link to an article from the February 1997 issue of Railmodel Journal on single-deck livestock cars by Richard  Hendrickson:

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1997_2/

The article begins on Page 24.

This is Part I of a series.

Richard discusses the Mather company as well as modeling these cars.

Also included is a chart listing the cars, with car numbers, Mather leased to the railroads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ray Breyer

Pay close attention to Richard's modeling notes for these cars, keeping in mind that they're biased towards the last decade for this group (1950-1960).

Ignore ALL of his corporate history for Mather. It's wholly wrong, including his hypothesis on their car construction techniques. I'm currently working on a new study of Mather, from the company's incorporation in 1882 to its sale to North American in 1956, and what I'm finding is contradicting everything Richard though was correct about Mather (which in 1915 was the third largest private leasing company behind Armour & UTLX, at 14,066 cars. At one time Mather owned 7.6% of all stock cars running in the United States. The company was anything BUT a scrappy, backwards underdog).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, November 12, 2020, 12:04:24 PM CST, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Courtesy of Train Life, here is a link to an article from the February 1997 issue of Railmodel Journal on single-deck livestock cars by Richard  Hendrickson:

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1997_2/

The article begins on Page 24.

This is Part I of a series.

Richard discusses the Mather company as well as modeling these cars.

Also included is a chart listing the cars, with car numbers, Mather leased to the railroads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:06 AM, Ray Breyer wrote:
I'm currently working on a new study of Mather, from the company's incorporation in 1882 to its sale to North American in 1956,
Be sure to include examples of Alonzo's patents. His patent for a "Flying Machine" is a classic.

Any company that could build a skyscraper in Chicago's Loop district might have been scrappy, but was hardly a "backwards underdog"... even if it was the skinniest skyscraper ever.

Dennis Storzek

Ray Breyer

Dunno why some people focus on the flying gondola; Mather made his first fortune (which paid for the freight cars) with a patented glove clasp that's still in use today.

You'd think that his 1905 patent for concrete ties would be a bit more interesting.   :-)

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Friday, November 13, 2020, 01:03:05 PM CST, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:06 AM, Ray Breyer wrote:
I'm currently working on a new study of Mather, from the company's incorporation in 1882 to its sale to North American in 1956,
Be sure to include examples of Alonzo's patents. His patent for a "Flying Machine" is a classic.

Any company that could build a skyscraper in Chicago's Loop district might have been scrappy, but was hardly a "backwards underdog"... even if it was the skinniest skyscraper ever.

Dennis Storzek