Article: Swift Reefers, Stock Cars & Tank Cars

Bob Chaparro

Article: Swift Reefers, Stock Cars & Tank Cars

An illustrated article by Martin Lofton from the February 1993 the RailModel Journal:

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1993_2/

Link loads slowly.

The article begins on Page 26.

Does anyone have something they can add to this material? Context, details, photos?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charlie Duckworth

Your posting shows what a great magazine that was in the day. Now all we seem to get is ‘how I weathered a boxcar’ or ‘how to install a decoder’.  Both Martin and Richard were a huge boost to the prototype hobbyist.   The listing of brick and mortar hobby shops in the back is amazing compared to what’s left today.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Dave Parker

Bob:

The Swift fleet make-up is a very complex story due to extensive rebuilding and/or renumbering, and its acquisition by General American in the early 1930s.  This past winter, I gave a full-length clinic (45 slides) just on the 1925-35 period.

To go much beyond Martin's article would logically entail writing a book, a thankless task (IMO) due to the convoluted changes in the fleet over time coupled with the absence of much in the way of surviving company records or drawings.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

np328

     I fully agree with Charlies post regarding Martin and especially Richard and the myriad of articles they authored.

I always enjoyed Richard's presentations in person. (As did many others as these were always SRO. Packed so full at time that even talking a deep breath involved coordinating around you as others were exhaling.)   I do not recall Martin giving many - if any - presentations even at the first several Naperville Sunshine Meets?

However now as I scan and selectively digitize articles of many of my magazines and others collected, Martin and Richard's name comes up time and time, and time again. Greg Martin's also.  And the amount of data found within them is truly amazing. (Yes, I am aware that some publishers offer digital copies of past issues. However complaints at mfgrs are not allowed here so we will leave it at that.)
             I am always amazed at the great amount of material they authored and how it laid the foundation of prototypical modeling in the hobby.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Jim Dick       Roseville, MN