Topics

ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Andy Carlson

I got this image today from a friend who owns the original Kodachrome. Reweigh date is 1962, so a little past the date of concern for the list. The low lighting shows off the fishbelly sills quite well. The doors are an almost exact match with the MDC/Roundhouse 50' SS double door autocar. The riveted panels of the 4+7 configuration are not evenly spaced left-to-right.
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Inline image
The 4+7 riveted panels

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

What a neat car!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 22, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I got this image today from a friend who owns the original Kodachrome. Reweigh date is 1962, so a little past the date of concern for the list. The low lighting shows off the fishbelly sills quite well. The doors are an almost exact match with the MDC/Roundhouse 50' SS double door autocar. The riveted panels of the 4+7 configuration are not evenly spaced left-to-right.
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
<thumbnail-4.jpg>

The 4+7 riveted panels
<thumbnail-4.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

5714 is an Fe-12 rebuild from 1938 and again in 1953. (Fe-12 pre-1953 series 63651-63750)

The Fe-13 (attached) had a similar massive underframe.

At least one of these DT&I ex-ATSF cars ended up on the StJ&LC in Vermont.

On 6/22/2020 3:26 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

The 4+7 riveted panels

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tom Madden

Aaannnnnndd - the Resin Car Works kit:

Tom Madden

Tony Thompson

Aaannnnnndd -  a Richard Hendrickson kitbash of FE-13, using various Athearn and other body parts.

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer

I’ve been lusting after both of RCW’s new releases, but the PFE/WFE reefer shows five cars on the ORER in 1953, so I can’t justify it, especially since the rebuild program occurred in 1952. As for the auto car, according to the history notes, these cars were more or less shuttling between parts plants and assembly factories, none of which were in Iowa as far as I know. Unless somebody can provide justification as to why this car would pass through Burlington, either between Chicago and Omaha or between St. Louis and Minneapolis, I can’t justify adding it to my roster. Please, someone give me a reason to buy this car.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 5:42 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Aaannnnnndd -  a Richard Hendrickson kitbash of FE-13, using various Athearn and other body parts.

Tony Thompson

Bill Keene

On Jun 22, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Please, someone give me a reason to buy this car.

Not sure if this is of any help … but these cars did haul more than autos and auto parts. The following is from car spotting done by a young James Burke in his home town of Climax, Kansas on the ATSF Howard Branch in 1945. The Fe-7 through Fe-20 “Automobile” cars were spotted at Climax for loads.

5413 Fe-19 12-FEB loaded hay
8222 Fe-11 19-FEB loaded hay
8222 Fe-11  27-FEB not noted
67175 Fe-16 3-JUL loaded alfalfa
7874 Fe-7 6-JUL loaded alfalfa

The Fe-7 through Fe-20 were very similar 50-ft car with the heavy steel whale belly frames. The Sunshine kits could build to any example of these classes. portions of some of these classes were in general service. Also assignments, pool services, dedicated services were revised frequently. 

Info on these cars can be found in the Santa Fe Rolling Stock Reference Series — Volume 3, Furniture and Automobile Box Cars, by Richard Hendrickson. 

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Nelson Moyer

I should have mentioned it, but the ATSF only had 19 miles of track in Iowa, with Ft. Madison being the only town of significance on that part of the line. It’s not likely that the CB&Q would have any of these cars in their Chicago/Denver trains, and doubtful that the CB&Q K Line freights south between Burlington and St. Louis would have them either. Iowa is corn and bean country, so hay loading is doubtful. Unless I hear something more convincing, I’m going to have to pass, though I really like the car. That’s’ the down side of strict prototype modeling.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Keene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 10:01 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Not sure if this is of any help … but these cars did haul more than autos and auto parts. The following is from car spotting done by a young James Burke in his home town of Climax, Kansas on the ATSF Howard Branch in 1945. The Fe-7 through Fe-20 “Automobile” cars were spotted at Climax for loads.

5413    Fe-19   12-FEB                       loaded hay

8222    Fe-11   19-FEB                       loaded hay

8222    Fe-11   27-FEB                       not noted

67175  Fe-16   3-JUL              loaded alfalfa

7874    Fe-7                 6-JUL              loaded alfalfa

The Fe-7 through Fe-20 were very similar 50-ft car with the heavy steel whale belly frames. The Sunshine kits could build to any example of these classes. portions of some of these classes were in general service. Also assignments, pool services, dedicated services were revised frequently. 

Info on these cars can be found in the Santa Fe Rolling Stock Reference Series — Volume 3, Furniture and Automobile Box Cars, by Richard Hendrickson. 

Cheers & Happy Modeling,

Bill Keene

Irvine, CA

Allan Smith

ATSF SP-OAKDALE ATSF 7937 A 10-03-52 GRAIN 50' BOX, STAGGERED DOORS
ATSF IN SOUTH BEND ATSF 7937 A 10-10-52 LMBR 50' STEEL BOX. STAGGERED DOORS

This Fe-07 was on the Sierra Railroad on the date listed.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 08:35:33 PM PDT, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I should have mentioned it, but the ATSF only had 19 miles of track in Iowa, with Ft. Madison being the only town of significance on that part of the line. It’s not likely that the CB&Q would have any of these cars in their Chicago/Denver trains, and doubtful that the CB&Q K Line freights south between Burlington and St. Louis would have them either. Iowa is corn and bean country, so hay loading is doubtful. Unless I hear something more convincing, I’m going to have to pass, though I really like the car. That’s’ the down side of strict prototype modeling.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Keene via groups.io

Cheers & Happy Modeling,

Bill Keene

Irvine, CA

Douglas Harding

Nelson you forget all the manufacturing in Iowa. Think farm equipment. Large double door auto boxcars are ideal for moving farm equipment. Seems to me there was at least one farm implement plant in Burlington. Caterpillar and Case both had a plants in Burlington. Get out your Shippers Guide, you may be surprised at what you discover. Or what was manufactured in a ATSF served community that would be shipped to a local implement dealer along your mainline or branch line? Those ATSF boxcars could find their way to a team track ramp unloading manure spreaders or tractor tires or... Well hopefully you get the idea.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 10:35 PM

Nelson Moyer

Cheers & Happy Modeling,

Bill Keene

Irvine, CA

Nelson Moyer

I didn’t forget about those issues, but according to car service rules, wouldn’t shipments originating in Iowa more likely be loaded in home road cars and foreign cars having interchange with the Q? ATSF had very few if any interchanges in Iowa, considering they had only 19 miles of track in the extreme Southeastern tip of the state. Interchanges in Southeastern Iowa included CRI&P, MILW, M&StL, CGW, and Wabash. I’m not sure ATSF interchanged with the Q in Ft. Madison, but it’s likely because it seems like I remember reading the a ATSF rerouted traffic through Burlington when the Ft. Madison bridge was out of service. ATSF had its own gateway into Chicago, so it didn’t need the CB&Q. The more pertinent question is, What shipments originated on the ATSF with Southeastern Iowa destinations served by the CB&Q or on one of the roads interchanging with the CB&Q? Unless a ATSF load would pass through Burlington or have Burlington or one of my branchline towns (highly unlikely) as the final destination, I see no role for the ATSF boxcar. I can see ATSF routing cars to St. Louis or Kansas City, then Northward to Council Bluffs or Burlington, but there are more direct routings available to ATSF. My car roster is already overfilled, and I have to have a clear operational purpose for any additional cars. Hypotheticals aren’t sufficient justification for adding a car just because I like it.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 11:44 PM

Nelson you forget all the manufacturing in Iowa. Think farm equipment. Large double door auto boxcars are ideal for moving farm equipment. Seems to me there was at least one farm implement plant in Burlington. Caterpillar and Case both had a plants in Burlington. Get out your Shippers Guide, you may be surprised at what you discover. Or what was manufactured in a ATSF served community that would be shipped to a local implement dealer along your mainline or branch line? Those ATSF boxcars could find their way to a team track ramp unloading manure spreaders or tractor tires or... Well hopefully you get the idea.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

mopacfirst

Another point that occurs to me is, how old are the cars at the date you're modeling, and are there newer ones that could hold down the dedicated service assignments?  By "old", in the case of cars like this, I mean the rebuild date.  And shippers would have been interested in whether the doors close tight, the inside is clean with not too many nails sticking out of the lining, and that it's easy to tie down or brace or block the load.

If you assume that, in that specific year, those auto parts pools or whatever get the newest and best cars, and that the market (I'm thinking the auto parts business, primarily, since both shipper and receiver were highly specific) hasn't expanded dramatically where they need anything that rolls, then older cars are probably much more likely to be found in general service. 

Furniture and appliances, and farm equipment, have a different profile where the shippers are highly specific but the receivers are much more diverse, might have a different profile of cars.  And low trades like hay, as in the example, would get whatever the yardmaster doesn't have a better purpose for.

I realize this is a highly generalized way of stating the operating practice.

Ron Merrick

Ted Schnepf

Hi Nelson ,

What time of year, and what year, are you modeling?

If it is in the fall of the year, when the grain rush is on, anything goes, and car routings are out the window. Any serviciable car is used, even if it means installing a center post on double door cars to support grain doors. Double door cars in grain service, are not the norm, but did happen during rush periods.

Fall in the midwest, even into the 1960's, is a great time to model. No rules.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 08:16:35 AM CDT, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I didn’t forget about those issues, but according to car service rules, wouldn’t shipments originating in Iowa more likely be loaded in home road cars and foreign cars having interchange with the Q? ATSF had very few if any interchanges in Iowa, considering they had only 19 miles of track in the extreme Southeastern tip of the state. Interchanges in Southeastern Iowa included CRI&P, MILW, M&StL, CGW, and Wabash. I’m not sure ATSF interchanged with the Q in Ft. Madison, but it’s likely because it seems like I remember reading the a ATSF rerouted traffic through Burlington when the Ft. Madison bridge was out of service. ATSF had its own gateway into Chicago, so it didn’t need the CB&Q. The more pertinent question is, What shipments originated on the ATSF with Southeastern Iowa destinations served by the CB&Q or on one of the roads interchanging with the CB&Q? Unless a ATSF load would pass through Burlington or have Burlington or one of my branchline towns (highly unlikely) as the final destination, I see no role for the ATSF boxcar. I can see ATSF routing cars to St. Louis or Kansas City, then Northward to Council Bluffs or Burlington, but there are more direct routings available to ATSF. My car roster is already overfilled, and I have to have a clear operational purpose for any additional cars. Hypotheticals aren’t sufficient justification for adding a car just because I like it.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io]On Behalf Of Douglas Harding

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Bill Keene

On Jun 23, 2020, at 6:07 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I didn’t forget about those issues, but according to car service rules, wouldn’t shipments originating in Iowa more likely be loaded in home road cars and foreign cars having interchange with the Q?

Remember that not all of the Fe-7 through Fe-20 class 50 foot “automobile” cars were in assigned / dedicated service. A good number of these cars were in general service. That is, they were free roamers. 

Let’s take a single example — I am sure that there are many multiples examples — of an one of these Fe-class cars having brought a load from the west to the east. Say to a destination on the PRR. Then there was a load of let’s say refrigerators — a load that would volume out before reaching the load limit that would fit the requirements for use of a 50 foot car with the easy access of a larger door opening. As a railroad I have a choice of returning the car as an empty via reverse routing to the ATSF or loading it with an income producing load in the direction of its home road. Let’s say that the load was going a western destination on the CB&Q. A possible routing could have been from  the eastern location on the PRR to Chicago to the CB&Q to “Everywhere West". From my understanding this is in accord with the car service rules. 

I remember as a youngster my first sighting of one of these whale belly big boxcars. It was on a northbound MKT freight train that originated in Oklahoma City that was headed for Parsons, Kansas. Must have been a load as the train had passed by several interchange locations with the ATSF. These cars did ramble around the country. Having one of these examples in a through freight would not be an uncommon occurrence. 

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ron,

Actually a lot of older cars ran in parts pool service. The WP, for example, rebuilt a handful of older 40' boxcars with added double doors for parts service (IIRC, there were only five). I posted a photo of one of these cars the other day in relation to the WP Burro cranes. The boxcar in question was by then in MW service.

Many cars in auto parts service had model-specific racks or load restraining devices. These had to be updated when models changed, though not always every year (load restrainers for engines or frames, for example, might stay the same for several years, while body panels might change annually if the auto model was regularly being redesigned).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:24 AM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:
Another point that occurs to me is, how old are the cars at the date you're modeling, and are there newer ones that could hold down the dedicated service assignments?  By "old", in the case of cars like this, I mean the rebuild date.  And shippers would have been interested in whether the doors close tight, the inside is clean with not too many nails sticking out of the lining, and that it's easy to tie down or brace or block the load.

If you assume that, in that specific year, those auto parts pools or whatever get the newest and best cars, and that the market (I'm thinking the auto parts business, primarily, since both shipper and receiver were highly specific) hasn't expanded dramatically where they need anything that rolls, then older cars are probably much more likely to be found in general service. 

Furniture and appliances, and farm equipment, have a different profile where the shippers are highly specific but the receivers are much more diverse, might have a different profile of cars.  And low trades like hay, as in the example, would get whatever the yardmaster doesn't have a better purpose for.

I realize this is a highly generalized way of stating the operating practice.

Ron Merrick

Nelson Moyer

Seems more likely that a car originating of the PRR would be routed west from Chicago on ATSF than CB&Q, which didn’t run west of Denver. The CB&Q subsidiaries C&S ran North from Denver to Wyoming and Montana and the FW&D ran South from Denver to Texas, but none of them ran farther West. While it may be theoretically possible for the ATSF car to be on a merchandise freight between Chicago and Denver, it’s presence would be an outlier. I need more specifics before I can buy the model.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:44 AM

On Jun 23, 2020, at 6:07 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I didn’t forget about those issues, but according to car service rules, wouldn’t shipments originating in Iowa more likely be loaded in home road cars and foreign cars having interchange with the Q?

Remember that not all of the Fe-7 through Fe-20 class 50 foot “automobile” cars were in assigned / dedicated service. A good number of these cars were in general service. That is, they were free roamers. 

Let’s take a single example — I am sure that there are many multiples examples — of an one of these Fe-class cars having brought a load from the west to the east. Say to a destination on the PRR. Then there was a load of let’s say refrigerators — a load that would volume out before reaching the load limit that would fit the requirements for use of a 50 foot car with the easy access of a larger door opening. As a railroad I have a choice of returning the car as an empty via reverse routing to the ATSF or loading it with an income producing load in the direction of its home road. Let’s say that the load was going a western destination on the CB&Q. A possible routing could have been from  the eastern location on the PRR to Chicago to the CB&Q to “Everywhere West". From my understanding this is in accord with the car service rules. 

I remember as a youngster my first sighting of one of these whale belly big boxcars. It was on a northbound MKT freight train that originated in Oklahoma City that was headed for Parsons, Kansas. Must have been a load as the train had passed by several interchange locations with the ATSF. These cars did ramble around the country. Having one of these examples in a through freight would not be an uncommon occurrence. 

Cheers,

Bill Keene

Irvine, CA

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

I believe this is a misunderstanding of Car Service Rules. First of all (and the first rule), home road cars were not to be loaded if there was a "suitable" foreign-road car available. Of course the Q might choose to use a Grade A car of its own for a good customer, but that's outside the Rules. The Rules are aimed at, if possible, routing the foreign car so that it traverses its owner's rails (thus giving them some freight revenue), or moving toward home, or toward a road with a direct connection to the owning road. 
        There are just six of these rules, all are simple, and I have discussed them in a blog post years ago. If you're interested, here's a link to that post.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

Seems more likely that a car originating of the PRR would be routed west from Chicago on ATSF than CB&Q, which didn’t run west of Denver. 

Why? The shipper chose the routing, not the railroad (unless the shipper chose to defer to the local agent). Shippers had lots of "original" ideas about routing, as one former clerk put it to me. It's true that under Car Service Rules, that it would be DESIRABLE for the car to be routed over the Santa Fe, but a car clerk knowing those rules did not choose the routing.

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer

Ted,

I model Fall 1953. The question would be how did the ATSF car get to Iowa to be commandeered for grain hauling, or put another way, what’s the likelihood of the car being in Iowa.

I know it sounds like I’m trying to talk myself out of buying the model, but actually I’m searching for a plausible reason to work it into my operating scheme.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ted Schnepf
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 10:39 AM

Hi Nelson ,

What time of year, and what year, are you modeling?

If it is in the fall of the year, when the grain rush is on, anything goes, and car routings are out the window. Any serviciable car is used, even if it means installing a center post on double door cars to support grain doors. Double door cars in grain service, are not the norm, but did happen during rush periods.

Fall in the midwest, even into the 1960's, is a great time to model. No rules.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 08:16:35 AM CDT, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io]On Behalf Of Douglas Harding

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

I model Fall 1953. The question would be how did the ATSF car get to Iowa to be commandeered for grain hauling, or put another way, what’s the likelihood of the car being in Iowa.

Don't forget what we learned from Gilbert-Nelson. Cars show up around the country (on major railroads, and on main lines) according to their proportion of the national car fleet, if they are free-running cars like general-purpose box cars and gondolas. Santa Fe had one of the biggest car fleets in the country, so it would be more surprising for a Santa Fe car to be ABSENT in Iowa, than for it to be present.

Tony Thompson