Topics

ATSF 5714 Fx 8 color photo

Andy Carlson

I got this image today from a friend who owns the original Kodachrome. Reweigh date is 1962, so a little past the date of concern for the list. The low lighting shows off the fishbelly sills quite well. The doors are an almost exact match with the MDC/Roundhouse 50' SS double door autocar. The riveted panels of the 4+7 configuration are not evenly spaced left-to-right.
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Inline image
The 4+7 riveted panels

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

What a neat car!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 22, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I got this image today from a friend who owns the original Kodachrome. Reweigh date is 1962, so a little past the date of concern for the list. The low lighting shows off the fishbelly sills quite well. The doors are an almost exact match with the MDC/Roundhouse 50' SS double door autocar. The riveted panels of the 4+7 configuration are not evenly spaced left-to-right.
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
<thumbnail-4.jpg>

The 4+7 riveted panels
<thumbnail-4.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

5714 is an Fe-12 rebuild from 1938 and again in 1953. (Fe-12 pre-1953 series 63651-63750)

The Fe-13 (attached) had a similar massive underframe.

At least one of these DT&I ex-ATSF cars ended up on the StJ&LC in Vermont.

On 6/22/2020 3:26 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
I got this image today from a friend who owns the original Kodachrome. Reweigh date is 1962, so a little past the date of concern for the list. The low lighting shows off the fishbelly sills quite well. The doors are an almost exact match with the MDC/Roundhouse 50' SS double door autocar. The riveted panels of the 4+7 configuration are not evenly spaced left-to-right.
Stay well, everyone,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

The 4+7 riveted panels

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tom Madden

Aaannnnnndd - the Resin Car Works kit:

Tom Madden

Tony Thompson

    Aaannnnnndd -  a Richard Hendrickson kitbash of FE-13, using various Athearn and other body parts.

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer

I’ve been lusting after both of RCW’s new releases, but the PFE/WFE reefer shows five cars on the ORER in 1953, so I can’t justify it, especially since the rebuild program occurred in 1952. As for the auto car, according to the history notes, these cars were more or less shuttling between parts plants and assembly factories, none of which were in Iowa as far as I know. Unless somebody can provide justification as to why this car would pass through Burlington, either between Chicago and Omaha or between St. Louis and Minneapolis, I can’t justify adding it to my roster. Please, someone give me a reason to buy this car.

Nelson Moyer

    Aaannnnnndd -  a Richard Hendrickson kitbash of FE-13, using various Athearn and other body parts.

Tony Thompson

Bill Keene

On Jun 22, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Please, someone give me a reason to buy this car.

Not sure if this is of any help … but these cars did haul more than autos and auto parts. The following is from car spotting done by a young James Burke in his home town of Climax, Kansas on the ATSF Howard Branch in 1945. The Fe-7 through Fe-20 “Automobile” cars were spotted at Climax for loads.

5413 Fe-19 12-FEB loaded hay
8222 Fe-11 19-FEB loaded hay
8222 Fe-11  27-FEB not noted
67175 Fe-16 3-JUL loaded alfalfa
7874 Fe-7 6-JUL loaded alfalfa

The Fe-7 through Fe-20 were very similar 50-ft car with the heavy steel whale belly frames. The Sunshine kits could build to any example of these classes. portions of some of these classes were in general service. Also assignments, pool services, dedicated services were revised frequently.

Info on these cars can be found in the Santa Fe Rolling Stock Reference Series — Volume 3, Furniture and Automobile Box Cars, by Richard Hendrickson.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Nelson Moyer

I should have mentioned it, but the ATSF only had 19 miles of track in Iowa, with Ft. Madison being the only town of significance on that part of the line. It’s not likely that the CB&Q would have any of these cars in their Chicago/Denver trains, and doubtful that the CB&Q K Line freights south between Burlington and St. Louis would have them either. Iowa is corn and bean country, so hay loading is doubtful. Unless I hear something more convincing, I’m going to have to pass, though I really like the car. That’s’ the down side of strict prototype modeling.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Allan Smith

ATSF SP-OAKDALE ATSF 7937 A 10-03-52 GRAIN 50' BOX, STAGGERED DOORS
ATSF IN SOUTH BEND ATSF 7937 A 10-10-52 LMBR 50' STEEL BOX. STAGGERED DOORS

This Fe-07 was on the Sierra Railroad on the date listed.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 08:35:33 PM PDT, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Douglas Harding

Nelson you forget all the manufacturing in Iowa. Think farm equipment. Large double door auto boxcars are ideal for moving farm equipment. Seems to me there was at least one farm implement plant in Burlington. Caterpillar and Case both had a plants in Burlington. Get out your Shippers Guide, you may be surprised at what you discover. Or what was manufactured in a ATSF served community that would be shipped to a local implement dealer along your mainline or branch line? Those ATSF boxcars could find their way to a team track ramp unloading manure spreaders or tractor tires or... Well hopefully you get the idea.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

I didn’t forget about those issues, but according to car service rules, wouldn’t shipments originating in Iowa more likely be loaded in home road cars and foreign cars having interchange with the Q? ATSF had very few if any interchanges in Iowa, considering they had only 19 miles of track in the extreme Southeastern tip of the state. Interchanges in Southeastern Iowa included CRI&P, MILW, M&StL, CGW, and Wabash. I’m not sure ATSF interchanged with the Q in Ft. Madison, but it’s likely because it seems like I remember reading the a ATSF rerouted traffic through Burlington when the Ft. Madison bridge was out of service. ATSF had its own gateway into Chicago, so it didn’t need the CB&Q. The more pertinent question is, What shipments originated on the ATSF with Southeastern Iowa destinations served by the CB&Q or on one of the roads interchanging with the CB&Q? Unless a ATSF load would pass through Burlington or have Burlington or one of my branchline towns (highly unlikely) as the final destination, I see no role for the ATSF boxcar. I can see ATSF routing cars to St. Louis or Kansas City, then Northward to Council Bluffs or Burlington, but there are more direct routings available to ATSF. My car roster is already overfilled, and I have to have a clear operational purpose for any additional cars. Hypotheticals aren’t sufficient justification for adding a car just because I like it.

Nelson Moyer