Topics

ATSF Automobile cars/door color

ottokroutil

I came across a grainy color film on Facebook that shows what appears to be black doors on a 50’ ATSF Automobile car. It has the standard herald, but no maps or slogans, just the word “Automobile” on the right side.
I’m aware many roads used black doors and white stripes to distinguish auto cars with special equipment, but didn’t know Santa Fe was one of them. SFMO Painting and Lettering Guide by Richard Hendrickson has no references to such a practice. My guess is this is a pre-1940 scheme, or perhaps a short-term experiment, and if so, how late could one expect to see a car like this before it was repainted?

ottokroutil

Allan Smith

Santa Fe autoboxcar with black doors.  on Page 45 of Furniture and Automobile Box Cars is a photo of 65956 Fe-S. The photo caption reads In 1938-1940 the Santa Fe leased about half of the Fe-S class auto cars to the New York Central, where many of them were equipped for auto parts loading. This 1939 photo shows one of these cars with new reporting marks and weight stenciling  ( but original numbers) and the Santa Fe lettering in the heralds painted out. The stenciling beside the door reads Auto Bodies- When empty Return to M. C. Michigan Central RR Detroit Michigan
It looks like the car in your photo still has the Santa FE markings. At any rate the Fe-S class cars were all rebuilt (except 35 cars) in 1940-1941 into Fe-21, Fe-22 and Fe-23 cars.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 07:25:01 AM PST, ottokroutil via Groups.Io <otask@...> wrote:

ottokroutil

Ah, that would explain the door color and lettering, mystery solved. Thank you Al, for providing great information about the cars. That’s why I enjoy this group.
For what it’s worth, the train in the fuzzy frame was pulled by ATSF power and had an ATSF waycar, obviously on home rails.

Jon Miller

On 2/15/2020 8:35 AM, ottokroutil via Groups.Io wrote:
 the train in the fuzzy frame was pulled by ATSF power and had an ATSF waycar, obviously on home rails.

    Did I miss the date of the picture or was it given?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941