Topics

ATSF Boxcar 274525 gets galvanized running boards

Lester Breuer

After I repainted the roof and running boards black on ATSF Boxcar 274525, class Bx-48, I obtained more information stating the steel running boards for this car were galvanized and left unpainted.  So back to the paint shop one more time to obtain galvanized running boards.  If you are interested as to why and how, photos and writeup of the repaint process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Joseph

Nice job Les.  Third time is the charm!
Joe Binish

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 10:16 AM Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:
After I repainted the roof and running boards black on ATSF Boxcar 274525, class Bx-48, I obtained more information stating the steel running boards for this car were galvanized and left unpainted.  So back to the paint shop one more time to obtain galvanized running boards.  If you are interested as to why and how, photos and writeup of the repaint process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

O Fenton Wells

Lester, the Bx 48 looks very nice.  I like the black roof and galvanized running board.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Ken Adams

I could see a few new railroad modeling uses for those makeup swabs. Larger than the largest tiny paint microbrushes for adjusting weathering powders and not as clumsy as using the standard bathroom cotton swab. Good tip.

Edward

Yes, it looks really good!
Maybe an odd question here:
When the black car cement was applied, would the galvanized running board and corner platforms not be on the car, but installed after the car cement set?
Masking them would have been quite a time consuming job!

Ed Bommer

bigfourroad

Lester
Great job on this "redo" and I must say a bit intrepid to highlight the grating or expanded metal parts.
BTW the useful tips on beauty swabs and the article right below this on on your blog will be much appreciated when it (finally) comes time to build that Smokey Mountain Model Works CB&Q flatcar in S Scale.
Chris Rooney