Topics

ATSF Boxcar 274525 Roof Repaint

Lester Breuer

I have repainted the roof on ATSF class Bx-48 twelve side panel steel boxcar numbered 274525.  If you are interested as to why and how, photos and writeup of the repaint process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Eric Hansmann

Nice work, Lester. This is one of those simple tasks that gives a freight car a bit of character as it follows the prototype. Thank for sharing!

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On January 1, 2020 at 6:36 AM Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I have repainted the roof on ATSF class Bx-48 twelve side panel steel boxcar numbered 274525.  If you are interested as to why and how, photos and writeup of the repaint process including paint and weathering are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of modeling projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company.   If you would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

radiodial868

Yep, we've all been there. Better pics or info come out after the car is done, and it will always bug you until addressed (well, it does me at least). You did a really nice save.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

bill woelfel

Not to rain on Leater's parade but the running board should be Mineral Brown, like the car body.   Bill W

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Only if it is a wooden roof walk... metal roof walks match the roof color.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

On Jan 1, 2020, at 3:12 PM, bill woelfel via Groups.Io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Not to rain on Leater's parade but the running board should be Mineral Brown, like the car body.   Bill W

George Hollwedel

Never say never. Some Santa Fe metal running boards were left galvanized

George Hollwedel

On Jan 1, 2020, at 5:44 PM, Bill Daniels via Groups.Io <billinsf@...> wrote:

Only if it is a wooden roof walk... metal roof walks match the roof color.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

On Jan 1, 2020, at 3:12 PM, bill woelfel via Groups.Io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Not to rain on Leater's parade but the running board should be Mineral Brown, like the car body.   Bill W

John Barry

Bill,

I respectfully disagree, Santa Fe steel running boards remained unpainted galvanized when applied new.  They were only painted to match the roof in a repaint.  Had the running boards been wood, you would be correct that they should be Mineral Brown.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020, 06:12:14 PM EST, bill woelfel via Groups.Io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Not to rain on Leater's parade but the running board should be Mineral Brown, like the car body.   Bill W

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Thanks, guys. Maybe I really should reread my copy of the Societies’s Boxcar book.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

On Jan 1, 2020, at 9:33 PM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

Bill,

I respectfully disagree, Santa Fe steel running boards remained unpainted galvanized when applied new.  They were only painted to match the roof in a repaint.  Had the running boards been wood, you would be correct that they should be Mineral Brown.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020, 06:12:14 PM EST, bill woelfel via Groups.Io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Not to rain on Leater's parade but the running board should be Mineral Brown, like the car body.   Bill W

bill woelfel

I never saw that in the boxcar or Furn. car book, but once I looked at the ATSF model painting guide by Richard Hendrickson , there it was. None of this is to denigrate Lester's work. Looks like I have a few cars w/metal RB's to repaint. Bill W

John Barry

Bill,

It depends, maybe, maybe not.  If your car is in original paint, metal running boards should be galvanized.  If they represent a repaint, it should match the roof, non-skid black prior to 51, mineral brown after.  For Lester's car, if he were to depict it in the "Ship & Travel" scheme with a 1950 reweigh date, that would be a post 47-pre 51 re-paint from the as delivered and should have a black roof and running board.

(I love that great adult undergarment answer! :-)

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA