Topics

Automotive Restoration high gloss lacquer reducer

Andy Carlson

This firm sells High Quality lacquer reducer (Automotive paint shops name for lacquer thinner). I just bought a one gallon can with free shipping to California for $47.95. If a modeler were to use this product solely for thinning air brush mixtures this gallon can could last for a long time. Use the Ace Hardware lacquer thinner for clean up; A win win situation. I have used this many times for AccuPaint and it could be very close to the same mix as AccuPaint brand of thinner. It is $0.37 per ounce.

Years ago the author James Six was often admitting to using automotive reducer for thinning all of the solvent paints--Floquil, Scalecoat 1, Accupaint. and others. He was titled "King of the diesel painters" by a magazine, perhaps Mainline Modeler.

. https://tcpglobal.com/  Click on Autopaints and under "paint additives and supplies" followed by "Paint reducers and thinners". They also handle airbrush and compressors. They have a airbrush nozzle clearing brass tool which is highly recommended by Thom Knapp who is an active and succesful acrylic painter.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tony Thompson

Andy Carlson wrote:

This firm sells High Quality lacquer reducer (Automotive paint shops name for lacquer thinner).

    Richard Hendrickson used automotive lacquer thinner for everything in model painting, and bought it in cartons of four quart cans. I inherited a full can.

Tony Thompson