Topics

B&O double sheathed boxcar with single sheathed ends?

Bruce Smith
 

Folks,

A Facebook poster pointed out that B&O boxcar #82965, just to the right of center and just beyond the two tank cars in this John Vachon, June 1941 photo of Milwaukee's yards
shows a single sheathed end on a double sheathed car. (I suggest going to the .tif image at https://cdn.loc.gov/master/pnp/fsa/8c19000/8c19600/8c19665u.tif to really blow it up).

Other photos in the series are interesting as well, including this nearly top-down gondola load

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn

Dave Parker
 

I don't know how unusual this combination is generally, but it (or something similar) is not uncommon on rebuilt 36-ft DS cars (D&H, NYNH&H, probably others).  But, this is a 40-ft car (says my 1938 ORER), so maybe it is.  Perhaps one of the B&O experts can comment.

I do, however, find the roof unusual.  Why to the seam caps seem to stop a good foot short of the eave?  Have we ever seen this before?
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

David
 

Home-grown Tatum end. B&O applied it to many of their double-sheathed cars in the 1920s and '30s.

David Thompson

Eric Hansmann
 

That’s a B&O M-15 boxcar rebuilt with “Indestructible ends.” These became M-15f, M-15h, and M-15j subclasses. HO resin kits have been available from Westerfield Models. 

I have no idea about the seam caps on the roof. 


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 10, 2020, at 5:58 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

A Facebook poster pointed out that B&O boxcar #82965, just to the right of center and just beyond the two tank cars in this John Vachon, June 1941 photo of Milwaukee's yards
shows a single sheathed end on a double sheathed car. (I suggest going to the .tif image at https://cdn.loc.gov/master/pnp/fsa/8c19000/8c19600/8c19665u.tif to really blow it up).

Other photos in the series are interesting as well, including this nearly top-down gondola load

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn

David
 

I do, however, find the roof unusual.  Why to the seam caps seem to stop a good foot short of the eave?
I believe those are stiffening ridges of some kind. If you look at the right side of the roof, the panel seams do extend all the way to the edge, beyond the more prominent features.

David Thompson

Dennis Storzek
 

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 04:36 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
That’s a B&O M-15 boxcar rebuilt with “Indestructible ends.” These became M-15f, M-15h, and M-15j subclasses.
Photo from the 1922 CBC:


Lack of initials above the car number seems to suggest a DL&W car. Here's an Erie car:


Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson
 

     That a car end would be termed "indestructible" tells you all you need to know about problems with wood car ends, leading eventually to steel ends, of course. And BTW the name of that end turned out to be inaccurate.

Tony Thompson



Paul R Greenwald
 

Bruce -

There is a PRR steel box car (570940) on the the next track to the left.  Any idea what class it is?

Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS 1802
NMRA #129229 

--
Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS #1802
NMRA #129229

Schleigh Mike
 

PRR 570940 = PRR  class X(no hyphen)29 in 1946.

Mike Schleigh in wet Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 11:45:00 AM EDT, Paul R Greenwald <pennsyrrfan4905@...> wrote:


Bruce -

There is a PRR steel box car (570940) on the the next track to the left.  Any idea what class it is?

Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS 1802
NMRA #129229 

--
Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS #1802
NMRA #129229

Bruce Smith
 

I concur, and will add that it is an early production X29, with short upper door track, car builder's door, and door stops at 1/3 and 2/3 door height. An additional X29 with similar features is just ahead of the UP box on the far right. The WLE car to the left of our subject B&O car is an "X29 clone", and there is another X29 or similar car just in front of it and several more X29 or X29-like cars can be found. That should come as no surprise given that next to the home road, they should be the most common single class of car in yard, along with the NYC "steel USRA car" due to their number in the fleet.

Lots of other interesting cars.
The round roof PRR boxcar 3 tracks top the right, PRR 59168, is class X32a (flush roof, no autoloaders)
A SOUTHERN Steel automobile car next track to the left of the WLE car and SOUTHERN 15744 in the lover right corner.
Lots of radial roof cars
Lots of interesting tank cars, including the EORX tank just ahead of the B&O car, with classic opposing safety valves and bolsters for Standard Tank Car Co construction

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Schleigh Mike via groups.io <mike_schleigh@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 10:50 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] B&O double sheathed boxcar with single sheathed ends?
 
PRR 570940 = PRR  class X(no hyphen)29 in 1946.

Mike Schleigh in wet Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 11:45:00 AM EDT, Paul R Greenwald <pennsyrrfan4905@...> wrote:


Bruce -

There is a PRR steel box car (570940) on the the next track to the left.  Any idea what class it is?

Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS 1802
NMRA #129229 

--
Paul R Greenwald 
PRRT&HS #1802
NMRA #129229

Bruce Griffin
 

Friends,

That is an B&O M-15H and I have attached the photo I presume was in the link that I cannot get to work. The roof is not documented, but the end, as mentioned, was a Tatum XLT end with differences from the Indestructible End.  Tatum was the Chief Engineer for the B&O and patented his ideas and the B&O used them. You are probably are all familiar with his brake slack adjuster that appears on the side of B&O M-53 boxcars (and others) as a steel plate with a ratcheting mechanism. 

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

 

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Friends,

I was pleased to notice a WP 16001-series double-sheathed boxcar in this photo. It is over on the right in the string punctuated by the Phillips tank car. You can spot it by the herald on the door.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 10:33 PM Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Friends,

That is an B&O M-15H and I have attached the photo I presume was in the link that I cannot get to work. The roof is not documented, but the end, as mentioned, was a Tatum XLT end with differences from the Indestructible End.  Tatum was the Chief Engineer for the B&O and patented his ideas and the B&O used them. You are probably are all familiar with his brake slack adjuster that appears on the side of B&O M-53 boxcars (and others) as a steel plate with a ratcheting mechanism. 

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

 

Fred Jansz
 

Hey Garth!
Same overhere, first thing I noticed.
WP 17039.... 'We were all over the Place' !

Great shot! I like all those gondolas with pipe- and other loads.
Building a PRR Turtleback right now!

cheers
Fred Jansz