B&O Gon Carrying Big Inch Pipe

Bruce Griffin

I’m sharing a post from the B&0 IO group that would be of interest to some on this list.
--

May 8

Hello to all.

While looking at pipeline pages I came across this neat photo.

B&O 260986 is a 1940-vintage, Bethlehem Steel, 52’ - 6” steel, flat bottom, drop end, cushion underframe gondola.

In the photo it is hauling the first load of 24-inch pipe for the Big Inch and Little Big Inch pipelines built in WW-2.

Pipe was made by National Tube but I cannot read the small print to see what city it was.
National Tube had several locations but probably in McKeesport, PA.

I searched on the car number and it seems that Tangent Scale Model made a model with this car number. Cool.

Photos of National Tube in McKeesport, PA

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/