Topics

B&O Tank Car Explosion

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

I have just scanned up the two attached photos of a wrecked tank car. The back of one photo says, "Exploded oil tank on B-O RR." There is no date or location. Was this notable enough to have come to the attention of any B&O mavens on this group?

Sorry the photos don't have more detail.

I can only think this was quite an event for whomever lived in that house by the tracks!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

It might be more interesting if I had attached the photos. Error corrected.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Bill Keene

Nothing attached. Or … did the magic not work this time?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

I have just scanned up the two attached photos of a wrecked tank car. The back of one photo says, "Exploded oil tank on B-O RR." There is no date or location. Was this notable enough to have come to the attention of any B&O mavens on this group?

Sorry the photos don't have more detail.

I can only think this was quite an event for whomever lived in that house by the tracks!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

The links appear for me as broken. When I click, it downloads a .TIF to my machine. That may be the issue; the Groups.io page trying to handle a .TIF instead of .JPG. Maybe convert them and re-attach?

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ben,

Here are the photos on resend.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Ben Sullivan <ben.sullivan75@...> wrote:
The links appear for me as broken. When I click, it downloads a .TIF to my machine. That may be the issue; the Groups.io page trying to handle a .TIF instead of .JPG. Maybe convert them and re-attach?

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jul 2, 2020, at 15:50, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Ben,

Here are the photos on resend.
On both first and second viewing I've thought again that some photos would be best with a link to an accompanying plat, and in this case, one with five foot contours. That is an eminently-modelable scene! It even has a freight car in it, albeit one no longer ready for prime time.

Thank you, Garth. While I can't identify the location, someone with a good eye for B&O perhaps can. A clue - there is a telltale and a tunnel portal visible in the distance. Note the curvature of the tracks and the shape of the cut. Another thought about the car; look at the slope to the right. It appears that either the car fell down the hill or perhaps impacted the hill after being thrown from somewhere, and then came to rest in the base of the cut. Judging from the debris, perhaps it broke through a retaining wall, pushing the timbers and dirt/stone into the cut. Not sure. An interesting mystery!
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD