Topics

Bachmann HO Scale Boiler

Bob Chaparro

Bachmann HO Scale Boiler

Does anyone know the prototype for the Bachmann boiler? Does it approximate any known boiler type?

Ted Culotta discussed this boiler on his Prototype Railroad Topics blog and included two photos:

http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2016/02/prr-f29-load-update.html

Thank you.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Peck

One end might resemble a single furnace Scotch Marine but with the furnace not coming out the other end, I cannot see it being a good anything at all. Not that I have seen every possible boiler but it does not look good to me.
Chuck Peck

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:59 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Bachmann HO Scale Boiler

Does anyone know the prototype for the Bachmann boiler? Does it approximate any known boiler type?

Ted Culotta discussed this boiler on his Prototype Railroad Topics blog and included two photos:

http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2016/02/prr-f29-load-update.html

Thank you.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 16, 2021, at 19:15, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@gmail.com> wrote:

One end might resemble a single furnace Scotch Marine but with the furnace not coming out the other end, I cannot see it being a good anything at all. Not that I have seen every possible boiler but it does not look good to me.
Good catch. The tubes coming out beside and below the furnace are also suspect. Then there's the length - Scotch boilers don't seem to be that long compared to their diameter. I recommend a web search of the vast horde of engineering texts available describing stationary and marine boilers and either kit bashing or scratch building something.

I have some books from Model and Allied Publications[0], publisher of Model Engineer Magazine, describing the design and construction of working miniatures

[0] now Argus Press, Hemel Hempstead, Herts., UK - Martin Evans and K. N. Harris come to mind as authors
Model Locomotive and Marine Boilers, a copy available for $28 US from Abe books via bookfinder.com, searching with Martin Evans in the Author field and Boilers in the title field
--
"He sold his earthright for a pot of message."
F. Feghoot