Bangor & Aroostook Refrigerator Car BAR 2447


Richard Wilkens
 

Sometime ago the Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive was donated a large amount of scans of freight cars built at Pacific Car & Foundry. While the majority are of logging equipment we have quite a few of common carrier cars. Here is the first one and it is of Bangor & Aroostook refrigerator Car BAR 2447, built June 1953.

Richard Wilkens
Director of Collections
Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive


Drew M.
 

Wasn't this car offered as a kit by F&C years ago?

Drew Marshall in humid South Jersey


Chris Barkan
 


Drew,

Yes, it may have originated as a New Haven Railroad Historical & Technical Association special run kit, and then entered the F&C line of regular products.   See attached photos of one of these that just happens to be for sale on EBay right now. 

Eastern Seaboard Models has announced that they are producing these cars as a high-quality injection molded plastic model.  My understanding is that they are expected this fall.
http://esmc.com/ProdLine4000.html
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


Tim O'Connor
 


Drew & Chris, the cars you are talking about were not ice reefers, but are insulated box cars. They
were indeed first available as resin kits in HO scale from the New Haven association, and later were
offered (and probably still are) by Funaro & Camerlengo. These were the MAGOR cars built in
1950=1951 for both BAR and NH -- the NH cars were ordered with BAR paint because it was
actually CHEAPER to do that than to have them painted in a special New Haven scheme. (Or so I
was told by the NH guys.) PC&F later built more insulated box cars for the BAR (but not for the
New Haven) in 1953.

Eastern Seaboard Models imported an N scale model of the car RTR from China (I have one, a gift
for help with the project). If they do it in HO, that'll be cool.

Tim O'Connor

==================================

Wasn't this car offered as a kit by F&C years ago?
Drew Marshall in humid South Jersey

On 7/17/2022 7:29 AM, Chris Barkan wrote:

Drew,

Yes, it may have originated as a New Haven Railroad Historical & Technical Association special run kit, and then entered the F&C line of regular products.   See attached photos of one of these that just happens to be for sale on EBay right now. 

Eastern Seaboard Models has announced that they are producing these cars as a high-quality injection molded plastic model.  My understanding is that they are expected this fall.
http://esmc.com/ProdLine4000.html
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Tim O'Connor
 


Oops ! Nevermind. I was looking at the photos of BAR 7471 and BAR 8000... :-[

Well, in any case, the MODEL represents the MAGOR cars (NH+BAR), not the PC&F car BAR 2447. :-(


On 7/17/2022 11:41 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Drew & Chris, the cars you are talking about were not ice reefers, but are insulated box cars. They
were indeed first available as resin kits in HO scale from the New Haven association, and later were
offered (and probably still are) by Funaro & Camerlengo. These were the MAGOR cars built in
1950=1951 for both BAR and NH -- the NH cars were ordered with BAR paint because it was
actually CHEAPER to do that than to have them painted in a special New Haven scheme. (Or so I
was told by the NH guys.) PC&F later built more insulated box cars for the BAR (but not for the
New Haven) in 1953.

Eastern Seaboard Models imported an N scale model of the car RTR from China (I have one, a gift
for help with the project). If they do it in HO, that'll be cool.

Tim O'Connor

==================================

Wasn't this car offered as a kit by F&C years ago?
Drew Marshall in humid South Jersey

On 7/17/2022 7:29 AM, Chris Barkan wrote:

Drew,

Yes, it may have originated as a New Haven Railroad Historical & Technical Association special run kit, and then entered the F&C line of regular products.   See attached photos of one of these that just happens to be for sale on EBay right now. 

Eastern Seaboard Models has announced that they are producing these cars as a high-quality injection molded plastic model.  My understanding is that they are expected this fall.
http://esmc.com/ProdLine4000.html
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Chris Barkan
 


Tim, I don't think I said anything about reefers. :-)  Regarding the ESM cars in HO, see the link to their website and description below.  The NHRHTA was offering a discounted reservation for these back in January (see attached flyer).  According to the ESM website they are doing both the Magor and PC&F versions and they are currently "in production"  http://esmc.com/Updates.html

Magor/PC&F 40' Insulated/Heated Boxcar
In 1950, Bangor and Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300 insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service.  An additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953.  The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters.  New Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save money on the purchase.  The cars carried potatos in the winter and paper products in the summer.
The model is injection molded plastic with over 100 free-standing plastic detail parts, and etched brass roofwalk and brake platform.  Both builder variations, Magor and PC&F, are represented and utilized based on the prototype.  These cars ride at the prototypically-correct height above the rails, on InterMountain ASF A-3 50-ton friction-bearing trucks fitted with low-profile metal wheelsets. The model is equipped with body-mounted Kadee© Quality Products #148 whisker couplers and Hi-Tech Details air hoses.
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


Chris Barkan
 

There are a few more photos of forthcoming XIHs on the ESM Facebook page as well.

https://www.facebook.com/EasternSeaboardModels/
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


Tim O'Connor
 

Chris

Ok, I had it backwards. But the PC&F cars had different roofs than the MAGOR cars. They will have
to do another roof, and another side and ends as well! (Difference between Z and ZU eave roofs.) But I
am happy to have the PC&F car. :-)

There are other possible paint schemes in the future.

"In production" -- floating in a container on a ship, somewhere. :-D

Tim

On 7/17/2022 2:14 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:

Regarding the ESM cars in HO, see the link to their website and description below.  The NHRHTA was offering a discounted reservation for these back in January (see attached flyer).  According to the ESM website they are doing both the Magor and PC&F versions and they are currently "in production"  http://esmc.com/Updates.html

Magor/PC&F 40' Insulated/Heated Boxcar
In 1950, Bangor and Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300 insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service.  An additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953.  The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters.  New Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save money on the purchase.  The cars carried potatos in the winter and paper products in the summer.
The model is injection molded plastic with over 100 free-standing plastic detail parts, and etched brass roofwalk and brake platform.  Both builder variations, Magor and PC&F, are represented and utilized based on the prototype.  These cars ride at the prototypically-correct height above the rails, on InterMountain ASF A-3 50-ton friction-bearing trucks fitted with low-profile metal wheelsets. The model is equipped with body-mounted Kadee© Quality Products #148 whisker couplers and Hi-Tech Details air hoses.
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Ted Larson
 

What are the tall vents at both ends of the sides?  




--
Ted Larson
Trainweb.org/MHRR   ---   GN in 1965   ---   NASG.org 


Chris Barkan
 

Tim,
I too was confused about exactly what they are doing (although I think I understood back in January when I placed my order).  It appears that they are indeed doing both Magor and PC&F versions with the differing roofs.  The BAR cars (ESM 4001 series) are the Magor cars and the NH cars (ESM 4003 series) are the PC&F.  Look carefully at the two attached renderings.  As you say, there are additional paint scheme opportunities; the NH cars later lost their charcoal heaters to become plain insulated boxcars (AAR XI or IX, NH stenciled them both ways!) See attached photo by Ron DeFilippo of NH 45023 & NH 45050 in a B&M train in 1968.
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA


 

Ted, Those are vents designed by USRE/Evans, still in use today.

Rich Christie


Tim O'Connor
 

Chris

The artwork you sent shows two PC&F cars. Easily recognized by the roof overhang on the ends!
Your photo shows two New Haven PC&F cars.

Bryan also did OKEX models in his N scale PC&F model, but every prototype OKEX car I've seen
is one of the MAGOR cars with a flush roof.

What CONFUSED me was looking at old emails with Bryan and he said the OKEX cars were the
PC&F cars so that led me to think the PC&F cars had the flush roofs. I was all turned around! :-)

Tim

On 7/17/2022 2:52 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Tim,
I too was confused about exactly what they are doing (although I think I understood back in January when I placed my order).  It appears that they are indeed doing both Magor and PC&F versions with the differing roofs.  The BAR cars (ESM 4001 series) are the Magor cars and the NH cars (ESM 4003 series) are the PC&F.  Look carefully at the two attached renderings.  As you say, there are additional paint scheme opportunities; the NH cars later lost their charcoal heaters to become plain insulated boxcars (AAR XI or IX, NH stenciled them both ways!) See attached photo by Ron DeFilippo of NH 45023 & NH 45050 in a B&M train in 1968.
--
Chris Barkan
Deerfield, MA

Attachments:



--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Jim Allen
 

This is a very dubious picture. If you blow up the picture, the white stripe covers up the door detail and ladder on far end. Looks to be photo shopped or edited somehow. 

Jim Allen
Visit www.oscaledirectory.com


--
Jim Allen
Utah


Tim O'Connor
 


But you are not looking at the negative or the print -- You are looking at a digital scan of one of those,
and anyone who has done a lot of scanning can tell you that's easily done with a scanner or with software
afterwards, such as Photoshop. If the scan was from a print, this kind of thing can appear in a print as
well, depending on the printing process.

Here's another car from the same order (from the Vancouver BC collection) on its delivery run to Maine
via Canada. :-)


On 7/17/2022 9:40 AM, Jim Allen wrote:
This is a very dubious picture. If you blow up the picture, the white stripe covers up the door detail and ladder on far end. Looks to be photo shopped or edited somehow. 

Jim Allen


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts