Topics

BEARER of BAD NEWS

Bill Welch

Edited

 As some of know by now about 3.5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, which is almost always fatal. I have not been told as yet what my longevity may but I am preparing for a short time. My executive function is at a high level and shortly after I received my diagnosis I began planning my Memorial Service. As some of you know I am an Ordained Unitarian Universalist Minister having received my M.Div. Degree from Vanderbilt Divinity School in 1990 after a rewarding career as a Photojournalist at The TENNESSEAN in Nashville TN. My ministerial colleagues are encouraging me to have this service while I am still alive so I am proceeding to do it while I am alive and plan to keep people informed as to time, date, and Zoom Info. A few close Model RR buddies—Ted Culotta, Eric Hansmann, George Toman, Lester Breuer and The Reverend Doug Harding–will have a role in pulling together the Hobby Related segment of the Memorial Service in case you have anything you want to offer up to them. Friends from my news photographer days will show some of their favorite photos from that rewarding part of my life.

I want everyone to feel comfortable—agnostic, atheist, nonreligious, believers and members of all religious traditions. I am a political liberal and intenstly patriotic and examples of leadership from the life of General and President US Grant will be offered up as well as some martial music. Ministerial friends will give me grief as they share much of what they find humorous or profound about in my religious journey and leadership.

Musically there will be some Buddy Holly, Gene Pitney, Joe South and Blues inspired Mississippi Hill Music with 12–String guitar.

Medically I began Chemotherapy last Friday and this went well, perhaps because it was the first one. My adjustment to my new reality is no doubt aided by my love and interest in Zen Buddhism that does help me adjust to my new reality. My primary teacher is Thich Nhat Hanh: https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/biography/

  *                *                *

Regarding my Two Volumes about the FGE/WFE/BRE/NX System, Ted Culotta will eventually take it over with several other friends pitching in to help him. Our intent is that this set of books will among the most beautiful and luxurious books if their kind ever published. They will have a lavish number of photos and if the posse we intend to assemble is able to find a capable and creative artist and illustrator, it will have many charts, tables, and maps to amplify the text and photos. Be patient, it will be worth it.

Model On Ya’ll

Bill Welch

Jack Burgess

Bill…

You have been an inspiration to me. Take care…

Jack Burgess

[...]

mel perry

bill:
you, at the very least, will have had,
left a legacy, very few of us can say the
same, thank you for your contribution, happy rails
;-)
mel perry

Paul Doggett

Bill

I wish you all best, and will be thinking of you.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 2 Nov 2020, at 17:08, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Richard Ramik

God Bless.

On Monday, November 2, 2020, 12:00:44 PM EST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Peck

Bill, Sad news indeed.  You and your family will be in my thoughts.
I do not doubt your strength, but I hope the service will help your
family see how loved you are by others. It may strengthen them.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Madden

Bill, you continue to be a pathfinder, showing us the way. Safe journey, my friend.

Tom Madden

Mansell Peter Hambly

Bill,

Look to Alex Trebek for inspiration. Whatever you do, do not stop building. That will give solace. And thanks for your two suggestions 1) transformer powered drill and 2) calipers.. Thanks.

Be brave!

Mansell Peter Hambly

COQUITLAM, B,C,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Monday, November 2, 2020 at 11:00 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

Bill McClure

Bill,

Long time lurker, but passionate model builder. I have enjoyed all of your many contributions to the hobby, in so many forms and forums.

I wish you God's peace in this part of your life's journey.

Buddy Holly, et al and Delta Blues.... Doesn't get better than that for any occasion, any gathering.

Peace, brother,
Bill

Douglas Harding

Now that Bill has let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, let me say when I meet with families at the time of a death to talk about the deceased, stories abound, the good, the bad, the indelicate. Then I conclude with the following statement “are there any stories I should not share during the service?” sometimes there are. If you know of a story about Bill that would not be appropriate at his service, please share it now (after all we are family and know all the warts), so I can be sure to note that it should not be shared.

Now where did I put that rivet. Hope I didn’t swallow it during this break.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Lawrence Rast

Bill,

Your contributions to my modeling have been invaluable. Thank you!

I say this also as a fellow Div School student. I started my PhD at Vandy in American Church History/American History in 1991 working with Jack Fitzmier and Dale Johnson. Just missed you there.

Be assured that you are in my thoughts—and thanks again for all you’ve done for the hobby!

Best,
Lawrence Rast
Fort Wayne, Indiana

[...]

Paul R Greenwald

Bill -

So sorry to hear that news.  You are an inspiration to all modelers who know your body if work.

You are on my prayer list.
--
Paul R Greenwald
PRRT&HS #1802

Ed Mims

Bill, you are an inspiration to me and hundreds if not thousands more and in many different ways--more than perhaps you realize. In the modeling world you captured the finest of details just as you did in journalism. You made it all so realistic and believable. It was and still is always correct in every aspect. Thank you for being there and for being an inspiration and the finest example to all who met you. We know that through out your life you have placed every rivet correctly and that it is the correct size and shape. You are in my prayers.

Best wishes,

Ed Mims

Peter Ness

Hi Bill,

First, you are in my prayers.

Second, thank you so much for your contributions and continuous sharing of techniques and information and the motivation and inspiration you provide on a consistent basis..

While I struggle to learn about only one railroad, I truly appreciate your efforts as well as those of others, who dig into the “big picture”.  The information you’ve shared on the FGE/WFE/BRE/NX System, my opinion, has been a godsend; saving me a lot of mistakes and educating me at the same time, and allowing me to stay on the path to research the NHRR even more.

We’ve never met, but on another railroad-topic group a fellow informed me of the detailed construction of a specific prototype.  While thanking him, I told him I had neither the patience nor fortitude to count that many features from a photo. His response;

“Meah, our motto is “We count the rivets…., so you don’t have to.”  <g>”

That is also how you seem to me!

Peter Ness

gary laakso

We oft forget to celebrate a good, vibrant life and your decision to celebrate your life is brilliant!  It is much more fun to celebrate than mourn.  I have harvested more rivets under your inspiration than I ever did in all the years before seeing your technique.  For practical purposes, you uncovered the FGEX and its kin BREX and WFEX from obscurity and helped bring their fleet to life in models.   Truss rods forever!   I have benefited greatly from your labor of love and I need to thank you for that.  Life is an adventure that we are blessed with and you have made the most of yours.  Thank you, God bless and do not go quietly into that good night.

Gary Laakso

North of Mike Brock

radiodial868

Now that is a resume of a man for the ages...
We're here with ya, even if only digitally.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Bill J.

Bill,

this may sound frivolous at this time, but laughter is a great medicine.  Surround yourself with upbeat people.  Listen to and watch comedy shows.  Keep yourself engaged, start a new project!

prayers lifted,

Bill Jolitz

Lloyd Keyser

Bill
Always looked forward to talking with you during all the years of RPM. Learned so much from your clinics and handouts. Our friendship has met so much and look forward to the future. Your techniques have helped us all.
Lloyd Keyser