Black Car Cement

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Folks,

I have seen reference to black car cement in some posts.  Would black care cement look any different than black paint in HO (gloss or flat)?  Does it have a texture?

Jim van Gaasbeek
Irvine, CA

Bruce Smith

Jim,

Newly applied car cement is typically a very dark shade of grey, near black. One of the “lightened” black paints might be most appropriate, like Aircraft Interior Black, or NATO black. Weathered car cement tends to lighten to a grey color.

Car cement does have a bit of texture. I’ve tried to model this by using dead flat paint as opposed to satin or gloss. That doesn’t really show if you also coat the car body with flat.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...>
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Black Car Cement

Folks,

I have seen reference to black car cement in some posts.  Would black care cement look any different than black paint in HO (gloss or flat)?  Does it have a texture?

Jim van Gaasbeek
Irvine, CA

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Thanks Bruce.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

Nelson Moyer

Texture doesn’t scale well at 1:87, so Bruce has the right approach in trying to produce the overall effect, rather than the scale detail.

Nelson Moyer

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek <jvgbvg@...>
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 12:56 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:
Texture doesn’t scale well at 1:87, so Bruce has the right approach in trying to produce the overall effect, rather than the scale detail.
Car cement was an asphalt product that was similar to old time auto undercoating. Yes, if applied by spraying it had texture, and reduced to HO scale would likely look like 3M brand 320 grit wet and dry sandpaper, that is, too fine to accurately model.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

Texture? Oh, yeah. One SP employee described the application of car cement to caboose roofs as “mopping it on with a string mop.” But at 1:87, I’d say the texture is non-existent.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

George Eichelberger

It also may be that car cement was not always black!

That comes from research following “concern” about the color of the roof on a RTR Southern box car not too long ago. The model has an unpainted roof. My problem was every Southern box car of the era specified "body color” painted roofs. Although exact proof has never been located one way or the other, the carbuilder's spec - for a different Southern car - that was offered as confirmation for the unpainted roof did not convince me. …That same spec also mentioned car cement on the roof. The roofs of Southern 40’ box cars were definitely not black. That begs the question….were the roofs covered in Southern freight car brown car cement?

Does anyone know of car cement colors other than black?

Ike

Jeff Coleman

The Norfolk and Western used a brown roof sealer on their cabin cars. They may have also used it on boxcars as well but I haven’t found anything in writing.

Jeff Coleman

--
Jeff Coleman

Tony Thompson

George Eichelberger wrote:

It also may be that car cement was not always black!

Does anyone know of car cement colors other than black?
Yes. The PFE CMO that I interviewed told me it ws a great relief right after WW II when a BCR version of car cement was offered, as the roofs and ends of reefers no longer had to be painted.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Hudson Leighton

Edited

You might want to look at Tempera paints.

Years ago I did tar paper roofs using Tempera and mailing labels, it had the right look.

-Hudson

Alexander Schneider Jr

I think Tempura paint was in use on the Japanese National Railroad's cars for shrimp lading.

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 8:37 PM, Hudson Leighton
<hudsonl@...> wrote:
You might want to look at Tempura paints.

Years ago I did tar paper roofs using Tempura and mailing labels, it had the right look.

-Hudson

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Thanks to all of you – I now know a lot more about car cement, and sealer.

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

Jim Betz

 ... everybody has talked thru the texture of black car cement.  What I want to hear
about is how you represent a car with black car cement.
  For example a car that has been recently mopped - or one that has been in
service for long enough to have started to change color (appearance)?

  What product do you use (brand and color)?  How do you apply it?  Do you
do anything to -represent- the texture of car cement?

                                                                 - Jim in the PNW