Blacksmith Car

Scott H. Haycock

Folks,

I recently read a narrative by a professional railroader about a car used to repair bad order cars in place. This car, and its crew? one guy?, would be hauled  by a freight train to repair a car on-site. Would this car be the same as a blacksmith car? The description was of a car with a living space on one end, and tool storage on the other.

Scott Haycock

Charles Peck

I would see a blacksmith and his car as attached to a Bridge Gang, sometimes called B&B.  Little need for forge work
and making parts on the spot for minor on the road repair.  On the road repair, as I see it, would most likely be draft
gear and truck work, or maybe brakes.  That sort of thing could largely be handled with standard parts.  No need to make
parts on site.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 6:31 AM Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:
Folks,

I recently read a narrative by a professional railroader about a car used to repair bad order cars in place. This car, and its crew? one guy?, would be hauled  by a freight train to repair a car on-site. Would this car be the same as a blacksmith car? The description was of a car with a living space on one end, and tool storage on the other.

Scott Haycock

Randy Hees

It appears that the "Blacksmith Car" is a myth created by the movie Union Pacific, which included such a car in their railroad equipment, that car having been built by the studio from a former Virginia and Truckee box car.

That car was later offered as a HO model by Trains Miniature, now under control of Walthers.  The car as modeled carried a brick blacksmith's forge, with a large bellows, as well as a small hand cranked derick.  The blacksmith's work area took up almost half the car, leaving the rest for barrels and such. The reality was much more likely a portable iron forge with a Champion hand cranked blower, which would have been commercially available, and easily set up next to the repair car.  Such a forge (large enough to straighten a truss rod) and associated tools and equipment will fit in the back of a small pick-up truck (I did for a car repair/restoration at Railfair 99 in Sacramento).  The forge can be carried by two men.  We have a photo of such a forge on the SP in Oregon, being used for car repair.

The description of a "one man crew" would suggest that the repairs in place would more likely be light work, replacing a journal bearing, repairing a brake beam or rod, but with one man would not include a wheel set.  A wheel set is too heavy for one man to handle, and if an axle failed on the road, would likely call for a wreck train with a heavier derrick, with multiple men and supply of trucks and wheel sets.

The concept of a Blacksmith car makes the most sense if  the car and crew was responsible for tool maintenance during construction, not car repair.  But  it is more likely that a railroad under construction would just send light tools (shovels, rock drills, pinch bars) back to the first division point and shop where they could do the work in a better equipped permanent facility.

With all that being said I have one of the model blacksmith cars...

Randy Hees

Randy,

A small addition to your otherwise excellent information. The model blacksmith car goes back at least as far as Truescale, probably to around 1958 or 1959. The Truescale line of plastic MW cars was reissued by Train Miniature around 1969 or 1970.

The bits and pieces from this car would have been more appropriate in a model building.

It is interesting how some of these old models have been traded around between various producers for years. Walthers still has the tooling for the 50 to 60-year-old Truescale and TM cars. Every once and a while they find a way to squeeze a few more dollars out of them by some creative re-issue. Some Athearn cars go back to the early 1950s under the Globe name.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:06 PM Randy Hees <randyhees@...> wrote:
[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 03:31 AM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Would this car be the same as a blacksmith car?
Scott,
Where is this reference to a "blacksmith car" coming from?

Dennis Storzek

Scott H. Haycock

The use of "blacksmith car" is my own. I don't remember where I heard the term, but it seemed descriptive- my apologies for the confusion.

Here's the story. I'm thinking about modeling this, but I need a better understanding of the type of MOW cars that might be used:

Cal Sexsmith wrote-
 The father of a friend of mine was a road repair foreman in the 1950s. He was assigned a road repair car which was an old boxcar with a bunkhouse/kitchen at one end and tools and parts at the other. The car, along with the road repair crew, would be moved from town to town by way freights so that they could repair cars where they sat. This might also be an interesting variation to add.

Scott Haycock

Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

On 06/13/2021 2:39 PM Dennis Storzek wrote:

Scott,
Where is this reference to a "blacksmith car" coming from?

Dennis Storzek

Gavin

I'll have to dig, but I know PGE had an offical foundry/blacksmith car post WW2.