Topics

BLI 6K Tank Car photos posted

Tangent Scale Models

>> Garth Groff wrote:

I have asked Tangent to consider an ACF 10K high walkway Type 7 or 11. I've been lobbying various manufacturers for these for years. I have two of the 8K F&C cars, but really want a couple of 10s (the WP used them up until the end). This is a much needed car for the first half of the 20th century, made in the thousands for numerous owners, and very distinctive. Perhaps if some of you also asked Tangent, they might give this more consideration.<<

Tangent Scale Models really does appreciate the enthusiasm for another tank car model from our brand.  We heard Garth's request for these ACF cars a few months ago and here again.  I will save you guys the trouble of ganging up on Tangent with emails and phone calls to offer this specific ACF tank car.  Why?

We have a clear direction for our next tank car releases.  Our next car will be doing a modern crude oil tank car, sorry.

PS - that's a joke.  Sit tight, and save your pennies!

:)

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Richard Townsend

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! I thought I had made it clear that your next tank car should be a multi-dome wine car. Now you're hinting at a high-walkway car? Nobody cleared this with me. ;)

(But I'll buy one if it's FW&D.)

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

Donald B. Valentine

    Thanks much for posting these, Brian. Someone had commented earlier about the supposedly
large circumferential rivets at the end of the car. From what is seen here, particularly in the second
photo taken outdoors, that is one criticism I won't make as those in the photo appear to be good
sized as well.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Jon Miller

On 3/8/2017 2:35 AM, riverman_vt@... [STMFC] wrote:
Someone had commented earlier about the supposedly
large circumferential rivets at the end of the car.

    That might have been me.  Pictures are worth a thousand words and now that I'm seeing pictures these cars are looking better and better.  Some item are over sized but I don't think it's the bolts.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Fred Jansz

Garth, why would anyone want a WP tankcar? ;-)) I posess two W&R high walkway WP cars, one water, one oil, both have K-brake unfortunately. I don't like modifying the brass W&R's so me too I'd welcome a Tangent 10k high (or low) walkway car with AB brake, like WP's 1021-1080 (high) and 1081-1180 (low) probably received in 1949-1950?
Cheers, Fred Jansz

Jon Miller

On 3/7/2017 8:40 PM, tangentscalemodels@... [STMFC] wrote:
Tangent to consider an ACF 10K high walkway Type 7 or 11

    Well I'm going to  add a comment here.  I think the market is flooded with 10K, everyone and his cousin has a ton of P2K tanks.  There are nice 6K and 8K high walkway cars that could be done.  AC&F book starting on page 77.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jon Miller

    Happened by BLI site a few minutes ago and see that this car is totally sold out.  Not sure how the sales are distributed (individuals or shops) but seems to indicate  demand for this type/era of tank.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tony Thompson

     I am told that the containers of cars are at the Port of Los Angeles, awaiting customs clearance. Can take anywhere from a few to six weeks. So they should arrive to dealers in late April or early May.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

James SANDIFER

My 4 pack A of BLI 6K tank arrived today. I wish I knew more about the prototypes, but these are nice models. They are slightly smaller than the Tangent acid cars. Put it next to an Atlas 11K chemical tank and - Wow – it makes the Atlas look massive (it should, double the capacity). All running boards are simulated wood grain, though for some reason the grain stops just short of the ends of the boards. For those with the railings around the dome, they are slightly larger than Tangents, but very slightly. The railings are the same size as Tangent. Couplers appear to be Kadee #5, held in with a screw if you wish to replace with scale size. Trucks are a little “flat” and the metal wheelsets look like those on an Atlas cars.  It does roll well. Printing is excellent. It comes with molded uncoupler levers, brake hoses, and underbody details. There is a seam down the center of the top, a mold seam I presume, but could it have been a weld. If it is just a mold seam, they should have removed it.

My set came with the Mathieson (SHPX) 1940; Ethyl (EBAX) 1944; Stauffer (SHPX) 1947; and Brown (BCX) 1930. They are listed as 6K ACF type 27 ICC-105.

The 1950 ORER lists the Ethyl car for Anti-Knock compound.

The Brown number is shown but without reference to contents except that it would hold 48,215 pounds of water.

Stauffer had a few cars this size for Liquid Chlorine, but wearing their reporting marks.

Mathieson also had none under their reporting marks.

In the SHPX section, the 3310 and 3600 are listed as ICC 105A 300W type.

Kaminski’s ACF tank car book has a photo p. 17 of EBAX 6161 a 6K ICC 105A300-W for Anti-Knock. P. 134 has another number 842 with a 1944 date.  The one on p. 134 has railing around the dome curved up like the tank – the model has straight railings.

P. 51 shows Mathieson 3310, the same as modeled, as a 5.9K ICC105A300. I don’t know the correct blue/green color, but it is bright!

Kaminski does not have a photo of the Stauffer or Brown car in that book.

They will certainly add color (except for Brown) and variation in my consists.