Topics

BLI vs. Walthers express reefers

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Sep 20, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Sep 20, 2005, at 6:18 AM, Daniel J Miller wrote:

List,

I believe that both the Walthers reefer and the BLI reefer are
available
in the same early REA paint scheme. Here's the Walthers car:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-5485
That's useful information, because Walthers' original announcement of
the express reefers showed only the later scheme with diamond REA
emblems, which those of us who model the 1940s can't use.
Also, for those of you who like to re-detail things and prefer to work with undecs, Microscale makes a good set to letter the recent Walthers, BLI or Branchline releases of REA equipment.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Richard Hendrickson

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I believe that both the Walthers reefer and the BLI reefer are available
in the same early REA paint scheme<
As you said somewhat different lettering. Also I believe the Walthers
lettering color is yellow and at least for my era should be gold. The BLI
cars are gold lettering.
Walthers has a problem sometimes of not describing the painting of the
cars!

Probably a minor point but if you are buying a RTR I would expect the
grab irons to be installed. BLI does and Walthers doesn't!

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel J Miller <djmiller@...>

List,

I believe that both the Walthers reefer and the BLI reefer are available
in the same early REA paint scheme. Here's the Walthers car:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-5485

There's still no photo of the BLI car, but they do show a drawing of the
early paint scheme on the BLI website.

It looks like the same paint to me, with the possible exception of truck
color and quantity of end lettering.

Dan Miller

Since the
Broadway is available in an earlier paint scheme not available from
Walthers, that makes it a better choice for me, unless a review shows
some other problem.

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:
Greg Martin wrote:
I am not sure what purpose it would serve to compare them together
not knowing which is correct, do you? Why compare one that might be
wrong to another that my be right? Shouldn't we first establish which
one best represents the prototype per the original drawing or doesn't
that matter????

Surely any sensible review would compare to the prototype,
whether of one or two models.

Thanks. You summed that up with more economy than I did! That was the
point I was trying to make.

Dean Payne

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
I am not sure what purpose it would serve to compare them together not knowing which is correct, do you? Why compare one that might be wrong to another that my be right? Shouldn't we first establish which one best represents the prototype per the original drawing or doesn't that matter????
Surely any sensible review would compare to the prototype, whether of one or two models.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

Dean,

I wrote...
I too would like to see a comparison, but not to each other,
rather both to an accurate set of plans. This is the only true
comparison.

Greg Martin
Then you wrote...

"Greg, I think you missed Bruce's point. What is desired is a
comparison of the two to see which better matches an "accurate set of
plans." A review of either vs. the plans would be nice, but it would
be nice to have a side-by-side comparo to know which is a closer
match to the prototype (vs. the competing product.) Since the
Broadway is available in an earlier paint scheme not available from
Walthers, that makes it a better choice for me, unless a review shows
some other problem.

We have the same need for a side-by-side comparison of the Funaro B&O
wagontop vs. the Model RR Warehouse. The Model RR Warehouse version
has been narrowed to correct the width, but we don't know whether it
builds into a better kit than the Funaro or vice versa. I'll bet one
is better in some places than the other and vice versa, neither being
perfect. Until someone knowlegable has both in hand, along with the
prototype plans, we may not know which to buy.
Dean Payne"

I am not sure what purpose it would serve to compare them together not knowing which is correct, do you? Why compare one that might be wrong to another that my be right? Shouldn't we first establish which one best represents the prototype per the original drawing or doesn't that matter????

In your words...

"We have the same need for a side-by-side comparison of the Funaro B&O
wagontop vs. the Model RR Warehouse. The Model RR Warehouse version
has been narrowed to correct the width, but we don't know whether it
builds into a better kit than the Funaro or vice versa."

I could personally care less if a B&O car is fatter to another unless we can clearly establish which on is correct... I just want the correct one or to know which one requires less work to make it so and I believe(correct me if I am wrong)the only way to that is from a correct set of plans... Otherwise what's the purpose of the comprison... The other mehtod is simple conjecture of "I sure like this one better..." Let's first establish which one it correct.

Greg Martin

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, tgregmrtn@a... wrote:

Scott wrote:

Now that Broadway has released their GACX 53'6" express reefer,
why should we care? Is it a different prototype than the Walthers
model? They look almost identical. The Broadway version costs a
couple dollars more.<<

Bruce wrote:

Scott,
AFAIK, they are identical prototypes. I would LOVE to see an
unbiased side by side review of these cars.

Regards
Bruce<

[...]

Dan Stainton

Look your Broadway Cars over carefully, both of mine had broken
ladders and one had chipped/peeling paint on the
ladder

Dan
Stainton

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, blindog@m... wrote:
Now that Broadway has released their GACX 53'6" express reefer, why
should we care? Is it a different prototype than the Walthers model?
They look almost identical. The Broadway version costs a couple
dollars more.

Scott C

Greg Martin

jaley <jaley@...>

On Sep 16, 8:22am, Bruce Smith wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] BLI vs. Walthers express reefers
AFAIK, they are identical prototypes. I would LOVE to see an
unbiased side by side review of these cars.

Perhaps if you wait long enough, that fellow from Auburn will write them
up in The Keystone Modeler.

;-)

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@pcocd2.intel.com
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

AFAIK, they are identical prototypes.<
I have a pair of BLIs as the lettering I wanted (earlier style) was not
done by Walthers. Not being a expert on these cars all I have to say is
they look very nice and I didn't have to installing the handrails.

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:28 PM, blindog@mindspring.com wrote:

Now that Broadway has released their GACX 53'6" express reefer, why should we care? Is it a different prototype than the Walthers model? They look almost identical. The Broadway version costs a couple dollars more.
Scott,

AFAIK, they are identical prototypes. I would LOVE to see an unbiased side by side review of these cars.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL