BMX 801. What’s the background on this car?

Charlie Duckworth

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

Charlie,

There was an article on these BMX cars in the September 2013 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. The article featured prototype details and model construction techniques.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/12/2022 8:06 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Tim O'Connor

It's come up before. :-)

(Photo of Mike Evans models with Jerry Glow decals)

On 1/12/2022 10:06 AM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:

--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Charlie Vlk

I don’t know if this photo of  BMX 819 has been circulated.   I got it from a Grace Tank Car Company photo album. Grace was a used equipment broker and may have arranged the supply of tank cars to Thrall used in the conversion.

Charlie Vlk

Scott

I believe they where used to transport roof shingle granules.

Scott McDonald

Charlie Vlk

All-

It looks like the wrong file got posted.  Here is the correct one.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 1:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] BMX 801. What’s the background on this car?

I don’t know if this photo of  BMX 819 has been circulated.   I got it from a Grace Tank Car Company photo album. Grace was a used equipment broker and may have arranged the supply of tank cars to Thrall used in the conversion.

Charlie Vlk

Charles Greene

Maybe related, at least to the contents of the car, is the fact that Barrett made a substance named Tarvia which was used to pave roads. Could have been used, perhaps in modified form, to soak felt for roofing applications, e.g. railroad structures such as shops and roundhouses? I've attached a photo of a truck used to spread Tarvia.

-Chuck Greene

Dave Parker

Barrett started as a roofing company in 1854; the road paving side of the business actually came some 50 years later.  They also became a pretty diversified specialty chemical company, with a number of products all derived from coal tar.  In 1920, Barrett joined with four other companies to form the foundation of Allied Chemical.

If you are on the Hindsight 2020 group, there is a handout in the Files from my January 2021 clinic on Barrett that provides more detail and some references.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Thomas Evans

What a cool truck!
A boiler
A locomotive air compressor.
A spraying rig like the ones I've seen on later such trucks.
And a tank of tar.

Tom E.