From: Richard Hendrickson To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 11:47 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] RE: Bob's photos

On Aug 24, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> Springfield Massachusetts, Tony... in January. Bob has several hundred
> books, and chairs to sit on. And there are other excellent photo dealers
> there too.

Springfield, Mass. in January? When Cocoa Beach, Fla. is an alternative? Give me, as we say, a break. The Springfield meet is all very well for those who already live in the area, but I spent three winters in New England once and I ain't goin' back.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Thomas M. Olsen wrote:

Springfield may have a waiting list of vendors, but they when they
finally select a vendor to fill a spot, apparently they won't guarantee
the table space until the vendor arrives to set up. Martin Lofton has
been asked to attend as a vendor a number of times . . .
And Westerfield has told us he went once and isn't going again. So Springfield isn't exactly presenting "all the big resin producers."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Tony,

In fairness to Martin, I would not pay up front & not have a guaranteed spot on the floor. Some folks are getting over-inflated, and need a reality check.
As for Al, that was a nightmare. Al & Patricia waited till the next day to head home; just in time for a 20 some inch snow fall. IIRC, they had soda cans explode in their vehicle from the -10 temps.
Mrs. westerfield may be from Vermont, but Al does NOT DO SNOW. Have no reason to feel deprived by his decision, I can order on line.
For those who may never have operated in snow------it's different!!!
Now back to the regular programming >>>>>.

I'm trying to find an answer for a fellow modeler up here, and I did not have a clue to the right explanaton. Would one the more knowledgable please indulge me with the difference between Z bracing, and what some call "exteral bracing". Not to be confused with hat section structural members. It's one of those things I should know, and can't recall it. Drat !!!
Thanks.......

Fred Freitas

> Springfield may have a waiting list of vendors, but they when they
> finally select a vendor to fill a spot, apparently they won't guarantee
> the table space until the vendor arrives to set up. Martin Lofton has
> been asked to attend as a vendor a number of times . . .

And Westerfield has told us he went once and isn't going again.
So Springfield isn't exactly presenting "all the big resin producers."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

In fairness to Martin, I would not pay up front & not have a guaranteed spot on the floor. Some folks are getting over-inflated, and need a reality check.
As for Al, that was a nightmare. . . .
I wasn't quibbling about the reason(s), just pointing out the absence.

I'm trying to find an answer for a fellow modeler up here, and I did not have a clue to the right explanaton. Would one the more knowledgable please indulge me with the difference between Z bracing, and what some call "exteral bracing". Not to be confused with hat section structural members. It's one of those things I should know, and can't recall it.
The cross-section of one is kind of a hat (inverted U), the other is a Z.

On Aug 26, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Fred in Vt. wrote:

I'm trying to find an answer for a fellow modeler up here, and I did not have a clue to the right explanaton. Would one the more knowledgable please indulge me with the difference between Z bracing, and what some call "exteral bracing". Not to be confused with hat section structural members. It's one of those things I should know, and can't recall it. Drat !!!
At last! A genuine freight car question. "External bracing" or, more correctly, "external framing" is any method of house car construction in which the framing is outside the sheathing. In the steam era, this was common to what are properly described as single sheathed cars (NOT "outside braced," a term that was never used in the RR industry). Such cars had a single layer of (usually) wood sheathing applied inside the body framing, which could be either hat section (usually Pratt truss, with the diagonals in compression) or Z section (usually Howe truss, with the diagonals in tension).

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Rich,

Let me take this one step further, if you don't mind. When a car is resided with steel over the Z bracing, does the ORER still list it as Z braced?
The fellow in question is a Mopac modeler, and is having issues with photos matching nember series. I'm a PRR modeler, and all I know about MP is the express & 10-6 sleepers in pool service.

Fred Freitas

On Aug 26, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Fred in Vt. wrote:

> I'm trying to find an answer for a fellow modeler up here, and
> I did not have a clue to the right explanaton. Would one the more
> knowledgable please indulge me with the difference between Z bracing,
> and what some call "exteral bracing". Not to be confused with hat
> section structural members. It's one of those things I should know,
> and can't recall it. Drat !!!

At last! A genuine freight car question. "External bracing" or, more
correctly, "external framing" is any method of house car construction
in which the framing is outside the sheathing. In the steam era, this
was common to what are properly described as single sheathed cars (NOT
"outside braced," a term that was never used in the RR industry). Such
cars had a single layer of (usually) wood sheathing applied inside the
body framing, which could be either hat section (usually Pratt truss,
with the diagonals in compression) or Z section (usually Howe truss,
with the diagonals in tension).

Train travel in italy North american

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Let me take this one step further, if you don't mind. When a car is resided with steel over the Z bracing, does the ORER still list it as Z braced?
No, nor does the ORER normally list Z braces. It would probably say "all steel" instead of "steel frame" or "steel underframe."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>

Tony,

Thanks for the info, now I can sit down with my confused friend, and hopefully get him through his Mopac withdrawl symtoms.

Fred F