Topics

Book of historical drawings; is it worth scannin

mark_landgraf

Dennis

I'll offer to scan that book. I have large enough scanner to do it.

Please contact me off list at
Mark_Landgraf at Yahoo dot com

The binder is hinged. Press the lever down and slide it away from you.

Mark

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:55 PM, Dennis Storzek
<destorzek@...> wrote:
It seems just when we started to talk about preserved drawings, the discussion up and died, and while it raised some questions I had, I've not had time to pursue it until now.

This Christmas a long time acquaintance lent me an interesting antique book titled, "American Railway Association, Mechanical Division, Supplement to Manual, Drawings for Cars and Trucks Adopted as Recommended Practice." It is dated June, 1926. Totaling 136 pages, it reproduces 53 plates (drawings) pertaining to the ARA "standard" trucks, three different trucks, in three different journal capacities each, and 256 plates that pertain to the XM1 single sheathed, and XM2 double sheathed "standard" boxcar. This is the complete set of drawings for these two Recommended Practice boxcars, each available in two weight capacities. These drawings detail the cars down to the smallest bolt, pin, and bracket.

Twenty years ago I would have killed for this set of drawings, but now I'm not so sure of their value. In a multitude of places "alternatives permissible" is noted, without detailing what the alternatives are, as they are all vendor supplied parts. From photos it is clear that the actual cars used a plethora of vendor supplied alternative parts, to the point that I suspect that no car was ever built that followed these drawings exactly. Twenty years ago I'd likely have followed these drawings, adapting them to the vendor supplied ends, doors, and roofs that show in the photos, fudging it in the best pioneer model railroading spirit. But today, with the large number of drawings of CARS THAT WERE ACTUALLY BUILT available from a number of archives, it seems that that would be the better source, leaving this book as just a curiosity; a collection of drawings that define the generic "standard" car that was never actually built.

It makes me wonder if they are worth scanning at all, especially since I have yet to figure out how to release the ring binder, which may well be rusted in place. The pages are too brittle to simply bend over double. And, while the cover size is only 10 x 14, a number of the plates are larger, done as fold-outs. Even if I had an 11 X 17 scanner, which I don't, I'm not sure even that would be large enough.

I'm seriously considering that the owner simply donate the book to a suitable library, such as the Pullman Library at IRM, where it could be available to anyone seriously researching the development of the ARA cars.

What say you?

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 09:02 PM, mark_landgraf wrote:
I'll offer to scan that book. I have large enough scanner to do it...

The binder is hinged. Press the lever down and slide it away from you.
Well, I found the lever, hidden by a loose end of the fabric that covers the spine. It is not budging, but I need more coffee before I try in earnest.

Thanks for the offer to scan, but I think I'll take Bob Webber up on his offer. Those folks are local to me, and the Pullman Library has the means to make it publicly accessible.

Dennis Storzek

Randy Hees

Beyond modeling they have value.  I care for museum equipment.  We are FRA regulated.  Among those regulations is the 50 year freight car rule...  That says cars are done at 50 years with some allowance for rebuilding or alternately a waiver.... My waiver includes a required 2 year "comprehensive inspection"...  Which last go round was observed by the FRA...   In general you inspect the cars to AAR interchange rules.

The current AAR interchange rule book (which the FRA guy carried) does not include anything lighter than 70 ton capacity cars...  We had to use an older rule books (1975, and update to 1974) from the museum collection to establish the standards to inspect to including side bearing clearance and center plate clearance.  We had a question on acceptable cast side frames which these drawings might address.

I have also used earlier MCB standards and United States Safety Appliances books when writing preservation studies to guide restorations.

Randy Hees
Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City