Box Car flooring question

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

Is this “Dowel-Loc” flooring?

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2364551/datastream/OBJ/view

I have been trying to figure out that story.

I imagine some debris collected in the holes that required occasional cleaning.  Big vacuum cleaner!

Elden Gatwood

Fritz Milhaupt

Woe betide the man who accidentally sends this car to a grain elevator for loading...

-Fritz Milhaupt

Jack Mullen

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 05:06 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Is this “Dowel-Loc” flooring?

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2364551/datastream/OBJ/view

No, not as far as I can tell.*
Doweloc ( I think that's the correct spelling of the trade name) was a wood flooring product in the form of laminated planks 12" wide, made of narrow tongue-and-grooved strips pressed together and fastened with metal dowels. AFAIK, Doweloc flooring for railcars was introduced in the mid-50s.
What we see in this photo is a wood floor covered with perforated steel protection plates. Standard Railway Equipment Manufacturing Co. was one maker. The holes served several purposes, making a non-skid surface, nailable, and lighter. These plates were commonly installed in the doorway area, less commonly over the entire floor, as here. These plates seem to have been introduced in the 30s, becoming common after WW2, with increased use of forklifts.
The plates were thin, 1/8" or less, so sweeping fairly clean really wasn't a big deal. I do remember some cars in company material service after several decades in revenue use where an accumulation of dust, dirt and grit had worked in between the plates and the underlying wood floor.
I have to admit that I'm missing something in the response implying the car isn't suitable for grain. I get that it's a joke, but I miss the point.
And maybe I'm having a deja vu moment, but didn't this topic come up a year ago?

Jack Mullen

Andy Laurent

Attached is an ad for the Standard steel perforated flooring, installed in a GBW single-sheathed boxcar (which was suitable for flour loading).

Andy L.
Madison, WI

Tim O'Connor

Perforated steel plate was used in a lot of box cars, applied over the wood floor. I assumed
the holes were there for making it possible to nail into the floor. I think the purpose in many cases
was to protect the floor in the doorway which probably took a lot of abuse.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/21/2021 8:06 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Group;

Is this “Dowel-Loc” flooring?

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2364551/datastream/OBJ/view

I have been trying to figure out that story.

I imagine some debris collected in the holes that required occasional cleaning.  Big vacuum cleaner!

Elden Gatwood

Sterling, Massachusetts