Box car weathering question.

Scott

I have been looking for color photographs to try and make my weathering more realistic. I found the one that is linked below of a Northern Pacific car on Ebay.  I was wondering if the white stuff would indicate the car was in hide service or something spilled and they tried washing it out?  Trying to figure out if this would be appropriate for random cars or only cars in hide service.

Ebay link to Northern Pacific car

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Todd Sullivan

Hi Scott,

From photos that I have seen of NP "green hide" cars, only one was a 50 footer, and that was an old single sheathed single door car.   NP 6536 in the photo may have been hauling bagged cement, or flour, or some chemical substance that is white in color, where one or more bags broke open during loading or unloading, and the material spilled out the doorway.  Green hides usually don't leave a visible residue on the outside of a car, they just smell awful.

It could have been paint, too.  Other conjectures are welcome ...

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

Scott,

Another way to answer your question is that the white stuff under the door opening is not typical weathering for this kind of car.  You could weather a model with all the other aspects of prototype weathering seen in this photo, and have a great and typical weathering job.

As a general rule, I try to stay away from atypical/unusual weathering on my models unless I'm trying to make a point, such as visually connecting a particular freight car to an online industry.

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan wrote:

Another way to answer your question is that the white stuff under the door opening is not typical weathering for this kind of car.  You could weather a model with all the other aspects of prototype weathering seen in this photo, and have a great and typical weathering job.

As a general rule, I try to stay away from atypical/unusual weathering on my models unless I'm trying to make a point, such as visually connecting a particular freight car to an online industry.

Very well said, Todd. My thoughts exactly.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Scott

Not hides. Hide service ruins a car -- strictly an end of life assignment. And this car is not at
all old in this 1966-1968 era photo. I think this is the car Moloco will be doing in HO scale.

Almost any powdered bagged commodity - broken bags were extremely common. Could be
talc, or lime, or caustic soda (lye), or flour, or corn starch, or white clay like kaolin. I know for
a fact that dairy processors routinely used bagged caustic soda to treat acidic raw milk to balance
the Ph. (A friend had a summer job at Cumberland Farms in NJ.)

Tim O'Connor

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oL8AAOSwwjZgswDS/s-l1600.jpg

On 6/1/2021 3:47 PM, Scott wrote:
I have been looking for color photographs to try and make my weathering more realistic. I found the one that is linked below of a Northern Pacific car on Ebay.  I was wondering if the white stuff would indicate the car was in hide service or something spilled and they tried washing it out?  Trying to figure out if this would be appropriate for random cars or only cars in hide service.

Ebay link to Northern Pacific car

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Sterling, Massachusetts