From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 5:27 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Box Cars in PRR Duquesne yard 1943

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.4369051.CP

Radial Roof NP, Frisco, PRR “Buy War Bonds” X29….

Elden Gatwood

Eric Hansmann

There are a couple fresh-looking X23 boxcars, too.

I didn't know the freight facilities at the Point in Pittsburgh was known as Duquesne yard.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 12, 2020 at 4:27 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.4369051.CP

Radial Roof NP, Frisco, PRR “Buy War Bonds” X29….

Elden Gatwood

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#174274) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Good eyes!

That entire area was leveled during the revitalization of the “Point” area of downtown Pittsburgh.

There are many photos of this area and its connections into the Produce Yard, in the Historic Pittsburgh collection.  Look for “Duquesne Way”, or “Railroad Avenue”.

The freight station was more oriented around non-perishable freight, which we see represented in these cars.

Elden Gatwood

Radial Roof NP, Frisco, PRR “Buy War Bonds” X29….

Elden Gatwood

Scott

Any guesses on the car behind the locomotive?  Possibly a wagontop of some sorts?

Scott McDonald

Benjamin Hom

Scott McDonald wrote:
"Any guesses on the car behind the locomotive?  Possibly a wagontop of some sorts?"

No.  The car has icing hatches, so it's definitely not a boxcar, and at any rate, it lacks the external ribs of the B&O boxcars and doesn't match the roof profile of PRR Class X31 and related classes.  It's likely a Class R50B express reefer.

Ben Hom