Topics

Boxcar Car Stenciling Practices

Bob Chaparro

Boxcar Car Stenciling Practices

I've notice in builder's photos steam and transition era boxcars have a stencil stating "New" with a month and year which appears just above the sill to the right of the Capacity, Load Limit and Light Weight data.

Boxcars that have been in service long enough to require reweighing have their original stencils replaced by station symbols and reweigh dates.

The stencil information stating when the car was built then appears above the sill to the right of the door as "BLT" with a month and year.

Is there a required specification for these stencils and their locations or is it just a matter of recommend practice?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

All part of the ARA (later AAR) standard (not recommended practice), effective 1 March, 1927.

The corresponding diagrams are in my 1931 CBC, and I am guessing are in many subsequent editions as well.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Eric Hansmann

David Parker might be referring to the bottom part of this PDF.

http://hansmanns.org/ARA_lettering_guidelines_1920_+_1927.pdf

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

All part of the ARA (later AAR) standard (not recommended practice), effective 1 March, 1927.

The corresponding diagrams are in my 1931 CBC, and I am guessing are in many subsequent editions as well.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 01:27 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
The stencil information stating when the car was built then appears above the sill to the right of the door as "BLT" with a month and year.
One clarification: The BLT. date stencil was required from the time the car was built, not added at the first reweigh. The NEW station symbol was just a convenient way to denote that the original Lt. Wt. was established by the builder, not the railroad.

Dennis Storzek