Topics

Boxcar upgrades

Eric Hansmann

Dave Parker shares detail techniques to upgrade Accurail shorties in the latest DesignBuildOp blog post. A little effort creates a few distinctive boxcars.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2019/02/08/upgrading-accurail-shorties/

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 04:10 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

Dave Parker shares detail techniques to upgrade Accurail shorties in the latest DesignBuildOp blog post. A little effort creates a few distinctive boxcars.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2019/02/08/upgrading-accurail-shorties/

Very nice article, Eric and Dave. Dave mentions the lack of upper corner brackets on the steel ended cars:

"One solution might be the gussets or reinforcing straps at the car corners. These should be quite different on the metal-end cars but, due to production constraints, they are not, and they follow the wood-end prototype. I thought about modifying these, but the proximity to the molded-on grabs gave me pause."

This is a perpetual problem with trying to design mix 'n match sides and ends, there is always something that goes around the corner on one version but not the others. The problem Dave mentions is on the NYC and NKP prototypes the top grab iron lands on this plate, complicating adding it to the model.

These would be a natural for someone to offer as etchings; .010 stock could yield .004" scale thickness straps with scale size rivets and nuts on the surface. In addition, the right hand plates could have a cutout for the molded on grab included in their profile. I've mentioned this before, but thus far, no takers. I'll make the offer again; if someone wants to offer these as parts, I'll sipply the drawing of that part of the tool cavity which would make designing the cutout east.

Dennis Storzek

Donald B. Valentine

A well worthwhile piece to read for NYC and Lackawanna fans in particular, not to mention us Rutland fanatics.

Thanks Eric & Dave

Ken Adams

For those of you with a more western modeling bent, The Accurail 1400 series with metal ends and straight center sills have some resemblance to D&RGW 36 foot boxcars. There was an article in the 2017 4Q D&RGW Prospector on modifying these to a fairly accurate model of the D&RGW 634xx series cars. I bought a Rio Grande 3 pack before I located undercorated versions for my bash into an US Navy Port Chicago ammo transfer boxcar. See my blog at https://srandsp.blogspot.com/2018/12/us-navy-box-car-from-port-chicago.html.

 I haven't touched this trio and they remain in my one day I will build them pile. They don't fit my current early 1950's  modeling plans though. Andrew Dahm at Westerfield has indicated some interest in doing an accurate resin kit. But I followed the advice given  to Dustin Hofimann in the movie "The Graduate" and am into plastic.

The nice thing about these cars is there are two existing prototype examples at the Western Railway Museum near Rio Vista, California. Both were ex US Navy cars.