Topics

Boxcars Labeled "Vehicle" Or "Carriage"

Bob Chaparro

Boxcars Labeled "Vehicle" Or "Carriage"

The attached photo Pere Marquette Boxcar 42794 is the only one I've seen of a boxcar labeled "Vehicle".

I was told such a label was not all that uncommon around 1900 and that some boxcars were labeled "Carriage" as well because their usual loads were wagons and carriages. This was slightly before the popular introduction of horseless carriages.

Has anyone see more examples of these "Vehicle" boxcars or the even more elusive "Carriage" boxcars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

akerboomk

In the B&MRRHS reprint of lettering diagrams for 1900 and 1907, there are lettering plans for 3 series labelled “Carriage”.

1900 numbers:

12400-12549

12561-12599 (w/ end door)

12400-12549 (yes, I know they overlap above) (also labelled “Hoosac Tunnel Route”)

1907 numbers:

12400-12409

12523-12599 (w/ end door)

and one labelled “Automobile” in 1907

12423-12472

There is at least one photo – see

https://www.bmrrhs.org/box_1893bm_12400_series/

(although you’ll have to get a copy of the B&MRRHS bulletin to see it, but it might be available elsewhere)

Ken A.

--
Ken Akerboom

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob,

Sometimes cars were labeled “Furniture and Vehicles” – see attached image of CNW 41098 at Appleton WI in 1892.

Claus Schlund

The attached photo Pere Marquette Boxcar 42794 is the only one I've seen of a boxcar labeled "Vehicle".

I was told such a label was not all that uncommon around 1900 and that some boxcars were labeled "Carriage" as well because their usual loads were wagons and carriages. This was slightly before the popular introduction of horseless carriages.

Has anyone see more examples of these "Vehicle" boxcars or the even more elusive "Carriage" boxcars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

earlyrail

Actually this is a 327' 6" inner length car, 40,000 cpy. series 41000 - 41716 (even only) 297 car in 1905
Howard Garner

Schuyler Larrabee

Love the photo . . . and the cars, too!

Schuyler

Sometimes cars were labeled “Furniture and Vehicles” – see attached image of CNW 41098 at Appleton WI in 1892.

Claus Schlund

The attached photo Pere Marquette Boxcar 42794 is the only one I've seen of a boxcar labeled "Vehicle".

I was told such a label was not all that uncommon around 1900 and that some boxcars were labeled "Carriage" as well because their usual loads were wagons and carriages. This was slightly before the popular introduction of horseless carriages.

Has anyone see more examples of these "Vehicle" boxcars or the even more elusive "Carriage" boxcars?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Brian Termunde

Wow, 'only' 327 feet long! <G> I'd have issues running that baby on my club layout no doubt, even 'N'ormal Scale.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: Boxcars Labeled "Vehicle" Or "Carriage"
From: earlyrail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 12:21:43 PDT
Actually this is a 327' 6" inner length car, 40,000 cpy. series 41000 - 41716 (even only) 297 car in 1905
Howard Garner

earlyrail

OK  37' 6"  Thirty Seven feet Six inches interior
Fid not proof read correctly.

Howard

Brian Termunde

Howard;
Sorry, I did realize what you meant . . . I have to be VERY careful typing things, especially on this dang flat keyboards!

Again, sorry, I was just trying to be cute, didn't mean offense . . .

Regards,

From: earlyrail
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 15:53:59 PDT