Topics

Branchline Blueprint 50-foot variations

Bill Welch

Edited

I need a reminder please regarding the Branchline Blueprint 50-foot boxcars in terms of the variations. I know they produced an 8-foot door car and an insulated car w/a sliding flush door. Note, I am not interested in the more modern cars they did, only the ones that would have the Improved Dreadnaught end variations.

Did they do a 9-foot door or any double door examples? Did the do any with a lower straight side sill?

Thank you
Bill Welch

Ed Hawkins

On Jan 20, 2020, at 7:12 AM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I need a reminder please regarding the Branchline Blueprint 50-foot boxcars in terms of the variations. I know they produced an 8-foot door car and an insulated car w/a sliding flush door. Note, I am not interested in the more modern cars they did, only the ones that would have the Improved Dreadnaught end variations.

Did they do a 9-foot door or any double door examples? Did the do any with a lower straight side sill?

Bill,
Branchline Trains (now Atlas) offered HO 50’ AAR box & auto car kits as follows with the side arrangement defined as riveted or welded & the number of side sheets to the left & right of the door opening, respectively.

1000-series: 8’ door openings, riveted 8/8 side sheets
1100-series: 15’ door openings, riveted 5/8 side sheets
1900-series: 9’ door openings, welded 8/8 side sheets
2000-series: 9’ door openings, riveted 8/8 side sheets

The above models came with three configurations of side sill to bolster, crosstie & door reinforcement connections that varied depending on the railroad. The three options of side sill connections were molded integral to the body.

a. Fish-belly from bolster to bolster
b. Straight from bolster to bolster
c. Separate bolster, crosstie & door reinforcement connections (i.e., “tabbed”)

While these three options were generally accurate for many prototype cars, others had straight side sill reinforcements extending from end to end (Northern Pacific one example) that Branchline did not offer & thus require modification by the modeler.

Branchline also offered two versions of 50’ insulated box cars (RB/RBL).

1700-series: Sliding-flush doors for 8’ openings, riveted 8/8 side sheets
1800-series: Sliding-flush doors for 8’ openings, 4-panel riveted side sheets for 14 side posts & horizontal seams

The 1800-series models represented GARX prototype cars having Duryea underframes. However, the Branchline models came with the same conventional AAR underframe provided in other 50’ box car kits. Recall Jack Spencer’s RP CYC Volume 15 article on modifying one of these models with Duryea underframe.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

rdgbuff56

I have added the original Branchline Freight Catalog to page 5 of file section of MFCL@....

Photos of all the types and roadnames.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Monday, January 20, 2020, 8:15:10 AM EST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I need a reminder please regarding the Branchline Blueprint 50-foot boxcars in terms of the variations. I know they produced an 8-foot door car and an insulated car w/a sliding flush door. Note, I am not interested in the more modern cars they did, only the ones that would have the Improved Dreadnaught end variations.

Did they do a 9-foot door or any double door examples? Did the do any with a lower straight side sill?

Thank you
Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Branchline -

 8 foot and 9 foot riveted single door 50 foot box cars.

 welded 50 foot single door car with 9 foot doors.

 double door 50 foot box car.

 TWO different insulated box cars with 8 foot doors.

All have separate roofs and ends.

I need a reminder regarding the Branchline Blueprint 50-foot boxcars in terms of the variations. I know they produced an 8-foot door car and an insulated car w/a sliding flush door. Note, I am not interested in the more modern cars they did, only the ones that would have the Improved Dreadnaught end variations.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bill Welch

Thanks for your assistance to everyone that responded here and to my personal email.

Bill Welch

rdgbuff56

I downloaded their whole freight car catalog at MFCL group.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Francis,

Since many of their cars also fit our period of interest, might we also have a download on our site?

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

rdgbuff56

I have added the Branchline Freight Car and Passenger Car info to STMFC@groups.io

I can not find a place to download items on RealSTMFC

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*