Topics

Branchline EZ Kits

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

Does anyone have any details on the Branchline EZ Kits? Is this based on
their Blueprint tooling, but with cast-on details?

And what about their "Yardmaster" series? What's the difference between
Yardmaster and EZ Kits?

http://www.branchline-trains.com/ ).

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@...
Graphics Components Division

byronrose@...

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:56:26 -0800 (PST) Jeff Aley - GCD PE
<jaley@...> writes:
Does anyone have any details on the Branchline EZ Kits? Is this
based on their Blueprint tooling, but with cast-on details?

And what about their "Yardmaster" series? What's the difference
between Yardmaster and EZ Kits?

Regards,

-Jeff

ATTENTION ALL. Coming soon to this list will be Mr. Bill
"we-haven't-shipped-that-yet" Schneider, chief honcho and bottle washer
of that part of BLT dedicated to destroying the balance of styrene and
ABS in the universe. I'm sure he will be glad to answer any and all of
your questions about their new kits in complete detail. Honesty is
optional at extra cost.

BSR

PS In case Bill doesn't get to it soon, the answers to your above
questions are: yes, no, what about it, much. Don't thank me, that's
what I'm here for.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Bill Schneider <branch@...>

Jeez, with an intro like that how can I resist.... :>)

The Branchline "Yardmaster" series kits ("E-Z" has already been taken...) are a new series of kits aimed at the "mass market". They will have cast on details but the details will be as fine as we can make them and include things like underbody brake gear (ala Central Valley/McKean). The hope is to reach some of the market who thinks "all those parts" make a kit too difficult to assemble but still want a well-detailed good looking car. Think of them as our Proto 1000....

The first car out in this series will be the pre war (1937?) AAR 10-0 IH boxcar. If response to this car is decent there will be others. The tooling for this car is complete and has been test shot, but I have no scheduled release dates. (Of course, MR Rose will tell you that even if I did it wouldn't mean anything...)

This series will NOT replace the Blueprint Series kits we produce (occasionally...). It is aimed at the quick-build segment of the market. If you're looking for a highly detailed kit of this car with all the extra goodies, buy one from my friends at Red Caboose. If you want something to slap on the layout fast, this is your baby!

Bill Schneider
Branchline Trains

byronrose@... wrote:

ATTENTION ALL. Coming soon to this list will be Mr. Bill
"we-haven't-shipped-that-yet" Schneider, chief honcho and bottle washer
of that part of BLT dedicated to destroying the balance of styrene and
ABS in the universe. I'm sure he will be glad to answer any and all of
your questions about their new kits in complete detail. Honesty is
optional at extra cost.
BSR

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

AAAAhhhh - The King is dead - Long live the King!
Finally a replacement for the standard Athearn box car, in terms of
similar prototype (the Athearn prototype is still questionable, but in the
ballpark of the 1937/1942 AAR car) and ease of construction. Thank you
Bill! (But don't let this get in the way of the passenger cars!) - John

byronrose@... wrote:

ATTENTION ALL. Coming soon to this list will be Mr. Bill
"we-haven't-shipped-that-yet" Schneider, chief honcho and bottle washer
of that part of BLT dedicated to destroying the balance of styrene and
ABS in the universe. I'm sure he will be glad to answer any and all of
your questions about their new kits in complete detail. Honesty is
optional at extra cost.

BSR

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

The 1937 AAR box car has been available from MDC/Roundhouse
for about a hundred years... Athearn's kit is an accurate (and
as yet, unavailable in any other form including resin) rendition
of the 1940 AAR box car with S-corner ends built exclusively for
Illinois Central. If you replace the ladders with 8-rung style,
then the car is accurate for SOO and DSS&A.

Finally a replacement for the standard Athearn box car

The first car out in this series will be the pre war (1937?)
AAR 10-0 IH boxcar.
Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Ever since Dennis Storzek said in effect the emperor had no clothes back in
April '82 RMC regarding the mainstay of the hobby, the Athearn car with its
undersized doors and CLAWS, I can't see past this feature. Every time I see
a model photo and there is a box car door with claws (at least clip the
claws, if nothing else), I can't see past this feature. I have this image
of the Kilroy was here sketch, only with door claws instead of hands and the
slogan "Irv was here!"
Of course, the whole point of Dennis's article was how to change this
and even salavage the paint scheme, but still, it's a lot of work.
In my opinion I would rather accept the Accurail steel box car with its
post '49 roof and post '54 ends as a stand-in for the '37 car than either
the MDC or Athearn. At least the Accurail car looks like a box car, even if
the wrong one, than either these two kits. And I know the MDC is closer in
details to the '37 car, but the end is pretty shallow relief - my feeling is
that if you are close enough to count ribs, you are too close, and if you
aren't that close, the Athearn is better.
So I will still hold my breath for the Branchline car. (And I trust
them to do appropriate schemes for the car, too, so we don't get an accurate
kit with the wrong schemes. - John

Richard Hendrickson

Jeez, with an intro like that how can I resist.... :>)

The Branchline "Yardmaster" series kits ("E-Z" has already been
taken...) are a new series of kits aimed at the "mass market". They will
have cast on details but the details will be as fine as we can make
them and include things like underbody brake gear (ala Central
Valley/McKean). The hope is to reach some of the market who thinks "all
those parts" make a kit too difficult to assemble but still want a
well-detailed good looking car. Think of them as our Proto 1000....
Bill, I'm devastated! You've sold out! To the toy train bozos! Arrgh.

Seriously, there's obviously a very sizeable market for such kits, and it's
about time that market was better served than by Athearn and MDC kits from
forty year old tooling. Proto 1000 and Accurail products, aimed at the
same market, seem to be selling very well. Also, FWIW (though it may not
be not good news to most subscribers to this list), Life-Like's Proto 2000
freight car kits aren't setting sales records, though they have a loyal
following; it's the RTR assembled models that are going out the front door
as fast as they come in the back door. Like it or not, model railroading
in North America is becoming more like European modeling all the time, with
many buyers who have more disposable income than time opting for high
quality RTR locos, rolling stock, and structures. What both L-L and
InterMountain have found is that if you build it, they will come.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

On Jan 18, 7:11am, Bill Schneider wrote:
The Branchline "Yardmaster" series kits ("E-Z" has already been
taken...) are a new series of kits aimed at the "mass market".
Bill,

Thanks for clarifying what the Yardmaster series is. But I infer
from your comments that there is no such thing as a Branchline "E-Z" kit.
Does this mean that your website is in need of updating? I refer to
http://www.branchline-trains.com/productindex.htm , wherin there is a
table listing

"Yardmaster Series
Details Coming Soon
E- Z KITS
40' Easy-Build Boxcar Kits"

What you described as "Yardmaster" seems to be what your website
calls "E- Z KITS". Suffice it to say that I'm confused.

Regards,

-Jeff

--

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

From: Richard Hendrickson [mailto:rhendrickson@...]
Also, FWIW (though it may not
be not good news to most subscribers to this list), Life-Like's Proto 2000
freight car kits aren't setting sales records, though they have a loyal
following; it's the RTR assembled models that are going out the front door
as fast as they come in the back door.
I've seen this at my local hobby shop. IMO, kits are an essential element
of the hobby - aside from developing skills, it has to be keeping people in
the hobby who, if faced with only RTR prices, would not be buying.

What both L-L and InterMountain have found is that if you
build it, they will come.
Don't you mean "if they build it you (the consumer) will come"?

Dave Nelson

Bill Schneider <branch@...>

Look Jeff, do you want me to make cars or update the @#%$@# website? :>)

Yes, it needs a fix. They should be the same thing, "Yardmaster". The
person working on our web site (no, not me anymore) must also be
confused! Thanks for pointing this out, I really hadn't noticed.

Bill

Jeff Aley - GCD PE wrote:

[...]

eGroups Sponsor
[Go to TravelWorm]
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=135082.1287829.2891954.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700169725:N/A=278910/R=1/?http://www.travelworm.com/>

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=135082.1287829.2891954.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700169725:N/A=278910/R=2/?http://www.travelworm.com/>

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Bill sent me a couple of views of the test shots of the Yardmaster 1937 AAR
box car, which have been posted on our (just getting started) guide to
Branchline kits:
http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Kits/Branchline-kits.
html

- John Nehrich

Richard Hendrickson

What both L-L and InterMountain have found is that if you
build it, they will come.
Don't you mean "if they build it you (the consumer) will come"?

Dave Nelson
Yes, that is what I meant. Apologies for the ambiguity.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

What both L-L and InterMountain have found is that if you
build it, they will come.
Don't you mean "if they build it you (the consumer) will come"?

Dave Nelson
Yes, that is what I meant. Apologies for the ambiguity.

Great! I'll show up for any assembled 46' D&RGW GS gondolas from P2k. Will
that do? 8-)

Dave Nelson