Buckeye box car ends?

irv_thomae

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy one HO-scale pair of Buckeye car ends, appropriate for the 500 "1937" AAR boxcars built for the Erie RR in June 1936?   I'd really like to have one of those cars on my 1940-41 era northern New England layout, but I have so many projects already that scratchbuilding such ends is just not an option for me.
  From searching this forum's archive, I am also aware that not too long ago Atlas offered a series of undecorated kits for the 1932 ARA  boxcar, and that "Style 4" in that series, which does have Buckeye ends, is considered a pretty decent match for the Erie's ARA cars.   However, I haven't been able to find that kit for sale anywhere.   (Didn't that earlier group have reverse-Buckeye rather than Buckeye ends?   But I guess I'd be happy to have either version.)

Thanks,
Irv Thomae

Benjamin Hom

Irv Thomae asked:
"Can anyone suggest where I might be able to buy one HO-scale pair of Buckeye car ends, appropriate for the 500 "1937" AAR boxcars built for the Erie RR in June 1936?   I'd really like to have one of those cars on my 1940-41 era northern New England layout, but I have so many projects already that scratchbuilding such ends is just not an option for me."

Why not use the ones from the Funaro Erie milk car?  They're the 3/3 Buckeye ends from the 1932 ARA cars, so you'll need two pairs to splice into the taller ends for the Erie 78000-series cars.  These also have the Viking roof that you'll need as well.  These kits have been in his line for a while now, and have likely been offered as polybagged flat kits, so you should be able to get a kit at a reasonable price.  Contact Steve to see if he'll sell you an extra pair of ends.

"Didn't that earlier group have reverse-Buckeye rather than Buckeye ends?"

ed_mines

That's an expensive car to cut up. It's a very nice car on it's own. Every so often you'll find one for sale on ebay.
Redball had both plastic and metal versions of a Buckeye end. I don't know if that's exactly the one you need.
Years ago Roller Bearing sold an epoxy version of a Buckeye end.
Sunshine had a kit for the exact car you want to model.
Ed Mines

Schuyler Larrabee

I am pretty sure that one of the private low-volume resin casters offers these ends.  I’m having trouble summoning up the name I want to offer.  Maybe Chad Boas?

Schuyler