Topics

Bucyrus RB17 Crane Loaded on a Flat Car Photos

Bill Welch

I am curious if anyone knows of photos of a Bucyrus crane loaded on a flat car? There is a very nice kit available. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

On 1/3/2020 8:45 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
I am curious if anyone knows of photos of a Bucyrus crane loaded on a flat car? There is a very nice kit available. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

wow, thank you Tim!!!

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

Bill,

Here are a pair of Army crawler cranes loaded onto a flat car. Photo is from the US Signal Corps Archive, Port of Embarkation, Norfolk, Va.

It is important to note that many of the photos supplied are of MOW applications. These differences somewhat from how a crawler crane might be hauled from one place to another as cargo, although there are many similarities as well. Common themes for these loads typically include:
  • chocks fore and aft of the treads
  • blocking on the inside of the tread to prevent sideways slippage (usually not seen on MOW cranes)
  • boom and body tie downs - sometimes a boom support.
  • supports under the rear of the body (under the counterweight)
A typical difference would be that the MOW crane often had a dedicated flat car with special tie downs and supports.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL