From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 10:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] BULK OIL DISTRIBUTOR SECURITY

Admitantly I have not seen.many prototype photos of bulk.pil distributors but the few that I have seen do not seem to be fenced in.  Certainly  times were different back then but what was the norm? Very few would survive today without adequate security.

Bill Pardie

Michael Gross

Thanks to Bill Pardie for that question, and Doug Harding for that reply.  I have a bulk oil distributor to build in rural Kansas, and this is helpful information.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Bob Chaparro

A few photos I have collected.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

Come to think of it, of all the bulk oil dealer facilities I've looked at over the years, I can't think of one that was fenced. Fences only keep honest people honest. With the trucks locked, pumps locked, and warehouse locked, there was not much to steal anyway. Today's proliferation of fences is more about avoiding the potential liability of kids playing on the tanks than theft, I think. Not really a consideration in the fifties and sixties.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

Looking at the photos Bob posted, the arid climate allowed a lot of outdoor storage of drums and other small items that one didn't see in the Midwest.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

Bill Pardie wrote:

Admitantly I have not seen.many prototype photos of bulk.pil distributors but the few that I have seen do not seem to be fenced in. Certainly times were different back then but what was the norm? Very few would survive today without adequate security.
Like others who have responded, I have collected photos of such facilities in many localities over the years. Only the very most recent ones have fences.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

Jared Harper

None of the 9 bulk oil plants on the Alma branch had fences.

Jared Harper

Gary McMills

When I was in college I had a part time job working for a bulk oil distributor. We didn't have a fence. The diesel and gasoline tanks had locks and the electrical box for the pumps had locks on those too. The warehouse was locked so pails and quarts of oil were protected. We had many 55 gallon drums of lube oil stored outside on pallets but they were always stacked two or more high so that it would take several football players take a drum without being seriously injured, we used a fork lift to load/unload them. The trucks were locked as well. The owner never kept any cash there and the years I worked there we never had a break in or something stolen.

Gary McMills - Vicksburg Miss.

On 2021-12-03 12:42, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

A few photos I have collected.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bill Keene

I will repeat that during the 1950s — early 1960s the oil distributors in the Oklahoma town the family lived in were without fences.

But there is always an exception…  The attached photos—kindly provided by John B. Moore—are valuation photos taken in either 1921 or 1922 that show the connection between the Santa Fe and the Katy … and also the Standard Oil Company distributor in Burlington, Kansas. This distributor had a fence around the two 15,000 gallon tanks. Also the 1924 Sanborn Map of the city indicates a fence around the property that incorporated a portion of the fence around the tanks.

View looking to the SE along the interchange track between the Santa Fe and the Katy. The Standard Oil warehouse is the first of at least three that were on the distributor site.  In the distance above tank #2—the one on the left—there appears to be a train. The locomotive could be one of the last remaining 4-4-0s on the system.

View looking to the NW. The Santa Fe’s water tank is on the left. The ATSF/MKT connection also served as the tank car unloading spot. Note the permanent stop sign between the tracks that protected the ATSF/MKT crossing. Both railroads had a fixed permanent stop protecting this crossing. The fence appears … at least to me … to be a “hog fence” type with the fence posts possibly being repurposed drill pipe.

I am still trying to locate photos of this facility around the 1950s, but do know that it was reconfigured with new and more tanks and a pre-engineered steel warehouse. An aerial photo of the revised site dating from 1966 does not show any fencing.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Tom Madden

Fencing may be optional, but depending on era you should include containment. My dad became a Gulf Oil distributor in 1950 and built a (truck served) four tank bulk oil facility. It was built facing east into a hillside that sloped southwest to northeast. Attached is a photo I took in 1960 (late afternoon) standing uphill to the southwest. The hill provided containment on the south and west, and a berm was built on the north and east. I'm sure there's no liner.

It's still there, in service, unfenced, although there's been no family connection since my dad died in 1971.

Tom Madden

John Holmes

In the 1950’s, we did business with the Mobil Oil distributor on East  Fruit Street in Santa Ana California.  My recollection is that it was fenced.

John Holmes

On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

Fencing may be optional, but depending on era you should include containment. My dad became a Gulf Oil distributor in 1950 and built a (truck served) four tank bulk oil facility. It was built facing east into a hillside that sloped southwest to northeast. Attached is a photo I took in 1960 (late afternoon) standing uphill to the southwest. The hill provided containment on the south and west, and a berm was built on the north and east. I'm sure there's no liner.

It's still there, in service, unfenced, although there's been no family connection since my dad died in 1971.

Tom Madden

ron christensen

A few years ago I presented a clinic on this at Collinsville. Dennis Storzek, Ken McCorry, Jared Harper and Doug Harding was very helpful in putting it together.
I see a lot of new and good information that I should add.
 Anyone wanting the clinic can get in touch with me
Ron Christensen

Storey Lindsay

Ron,

I would like a copy of your clinic. Is it in digital form?

Thanks,

Storey Lindsay

Celje, Slovenia

A few years ago I presented a clinic on this at Collinsville. Dennis Storzek, Ken McCorry, Jared Harper and Doug Harding was very helpful in putting it together.
I see a lot of new and good information that I should add.
 Anyone wanting the clinic can get in touch with me
Ron Christensen

Gary Ray

Hi Ron,

I would appreciate a copy of your clinic.

Thanks,

Gary Ray

Weatherford, TX

A few years ago I presented a clinic on this at Collinsville. Dennis Storzek, Ken McCorry, Jared Harper and Doug Harding was very helpful in putting it together.
I see a lot of new and good information that I should add.
 Anyone wanting the clinic can get in touch with me
Ron Christensen

ron christensen

Contact me off list. I’m converting it to power point from a pdf in vertical format. It will be horizontal format and larger font. It is large enough that it may be in 2 parts.
Ron Christensen

Storey Lindsay

Ron,

Your off-list contact [rxensen@...]  information bounces.