Topics

Businesses served by the PRR's Mon Division/Branch over time

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Groups;

To add to the discussion on industries served, over time, I thought you might find this interesting:

PRR’s Monongahela Division/Branch:   1918, 1939, 1945, 1962:

Business Traffic by Commodity/Industry – 1918 to 1962

Commodity/

Industry

1918

1939

1945

1962

Auto/Truck Delivery

1

Boiler Tubes

1

Boxes

2

2

2

Brewing/Distilling

12

5

5

1

Brick (Standard, not refractories)

2

1

1

Cement

1

1

1

Chemical/Coke By-Products

1

3

4

4

Coal (Mining)

48

32

39

16

Coal (Retail)

1

2

2

Coke

4

1

1

Coal AND Coke

7

1

Concrete Block

1

Construction

2

Cooperage (Barrels)

1

1

1

Dairy

1

1

1

Drain Pipe

1

1

1

Drywall

1

1

1

Electrical Products

1

Feed and/or Milling

1

1

1

Flour

1

1

1

Foundry Products/”Iron Works”/Castings

3

1

1

Finished Furniture Storage & Transfer

1

1

Glass & Glasshouse Supply

11

5

5

2

Grain

2

Grocery/Supermarket Supply

1

1

1

1

Hangers

1

1

1

Hay

1

Ice

3

1

1

Iron Only (Muck Iron)

1

1

1

1

Iron & Steel Pipe (Primarily iron)

2

1

1

1

LCL/Station Deliveries

35

34

37

14

Lumber/Commercial Products/Building Supply

21

17

20

13

Machinery

5

4

4

3

Marine Ways

1

1

1

Meat

3

4

4

1

Mercantile

1

Mine & Mill Supply

1

1

1

1

Munitions Casings

1

1

Natural Gas

2

1

1

1

Oil or Refined Products

6

8

13

8

Paper (Wrapping)

1

Plumbing Supply

1

1

2

Power Generation

1

2

4

3

Produce

2

2

2

1

Railroad Track Parts

1

1

1

1

Railroad Wheels

1

1

1

?

Refractories

1

1

1

1

Sand & Gravel

2

1

1

Sashes & Doors

1

1

1

Scrap/Iron & Metal

2

2

5

5

Slag

1

Specialty Moving Services

1

Steel/Iron & Steel (primarily steel)

9

15

15

13

Steel Supply for Fabricators

1

1

1

1

Storage/Transfer/Warehousing

1

3

4

3

Team Track

1

1

1

1

Toy Pistols

1

Trunks & Bags

1

1

1

***Unknown***

8

15

6?

U.S. Army Engineers

1

1

Water (Water Treatment)

1

2

3

3

TOTAL BUSINESSES

200

180

218

122?

TOTAL CARLOADS IN / OUT

12,481/21,759

Percent Coal Mining (Out)

24%

18%

18%

13%

Carloads of Coal/Percentage of Total

Percent Station Delivery (In/Out)

18

19

17

11

Percent Steel Industry (In/Out)

5

8

7

11

Percent Lumber/Building Supply (In)

11

9

9

11

Note big declines in brewing, coal mining, coke, glass, LCL, and growth in steel and scrap.

Elden Gatwood

tmkprr1954

Elden,
That is indeed an interesting evolution of customers.  Did that come from CT1000s?

Regards,

Tom Kane
Modeling the PRR in 1954 (ish)
PRRT&HS 8188
Purcelleville, VA

naptownprr

What do the numbers represent in the columns?  Surely they are not carloads.

[...]

No, NAPTOWN (name?), those are the number of businesses of that type served, like 12 breweries/distilleries becomes 5, then still 5, then 1.  Not only due to prohibition, but also consolidation, and example being “Pittsburgh Brewing”, who consolidated lots of smaller operations into their own, with fewer customers then served.

The carloads on the Mon were immense.

That’s a whole ‘nother subject!

Elden Gatwood