Topics

Buster Keaton again

Schuyler Larrabee

https://silentlocations.com/2020/07/04/buster-keaton-ghosts-of-go-west/#jp-carousel-16870

I find the car in the immediate foreground very interesting.  Longitudinal hatches.  Spitballing here, but could this be a refrigerator car with ice at the top of the car?  Or seeing the stock car behind the locomotive, some sort of feeding arrangement for stock below?

Schuyler

Found this image by clicking links in Bob Chaparro’s post earlier today.

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Looks like a stock car with overhead bins for silage.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jul 22, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

https://silentlocations.com/2020/07/04/buster-keaton-ghosts-of-go-west/#jp-carousel-16870

I find the car in the immediate foreground very interesting.  Longitudinal hatches.  Spitballing here, but could this be a refrigerator car with ice at the top of the car?  Or seeing the stock car behind the locomotive, some sort of feeding arrangement for stock below?

Schuyler

Found this image by clicking links in Bob Chaparro’s post earlier today.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I find I get a higher resolution copy of the image if I use the link below...

Claus Schlund

Looks like a stock car with overhead bins for silage.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jul 22, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

https://silentlocations.com/2020/07/04/buster-keaton-ghosts-of-go-west/#jp-carousel-16870

I find the car in the immediate foreground very interesting.  Longitudinal hatches.  Spitballing here, but could this be a refrigerator car with ice at the top of the car?  Or seeing the stock car behind the locomotive, some sort of feeding arrangement for stock below?

Schuyler

Found this image by clicking links in Bob Chaparro’s post earlier today.

maynard stowe

These are Santa Fe stock cars that are convertible to coke hauling when livestock shipping was not in season.  Santa Fe had thousands of various classes of convertible cars. They are well covered in Stephen Sandifer's recent book on AT&SF Live Stock operations.
Maynard

Patrick Wade

Is the car right behind the tender the same type at the one in the foreground? The roof covers look the same.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA.

On Jul 22, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

It might well be, without numbers it's hard to tell. The second car also has hatches but they are flush to the roof; it's the extra hardware that is the clue.  Santa Fe had many thousands of stockcars of several different kinds --single and double deck, and they would only be used a few months a year moving stock. The rest of the time they would need to be employed doing something to get a decent ROI. Similar to the way the souther roads had melon cars that ran as box cars the rest of the year.
Maynard

Bob Chaparro

Very likely these are Santa Fe livestock cars from their earlier classes, possibly Classes Sk-K, -L-, N or -P. Such cars appear on Page 71 of the book, Stock Cars of the Santa Fe Railway and a roof drawings appear on Pages 76 and 80.

A wreck photo showing the roof details of ATSF 56161 (Class Sk-K), a single deck car built in 1907:

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/wreck/atsf56161main.html

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine

   The CN 1 ½ door box car like I make with the Accu-rail cars and my own NERS ½ door

Add-On kits isn’t bad either. Excuse the shameless plug. Wish I could enlarge and print

that photo. Neat style of stock car with wider running boards and feed hatches.

My best, Don Valentine

David Wiggs

I think these were giraffe cars.  If you look closely, you can see the word "Lionel" in the corner of the car end.

davo in Orlando