C&NW 81226 36ft ds trussrod box in Mexico 1922

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

C&NW 81226 36ft ds trussrod box in Mexico 1922, Is there a temporary repair or other expedient on the lower part of the door? Perhaps to deal with a broken door mechanism? Note the chalk mark that might read "Barley Mex" but I could be wrong.

We also get partial views of boxcar SP 21580 and a ss C&NW boxcar.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Claus, I think that says Barley MIX, not MEX.  And the wood which appears to be nailed on?  I think the consigners we worried that the door would flex enough to let the load leak out at the bottom sides of the doors, so they improvised a “clamp” to hold it tight.

Schuyler

C&NW 81226 36ft ds trussrod box in Mexico 1922, Is there a temporary repair or other expedient on the lower part of the door? Perhaps to deal with a broken door mechanism? Note the chalk mark that might read "Barley Mex" but I could be wrong.

We also get partial views of boxcar SP 21580 and a ss C&NW boxcar.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Charlie Vlk

C&NW 91226 seems to have a more steeply sloped roof than normal….compare the angle to the two cars it is between…almost the width of the fascia board oon the C&NW box next to it…

Charlie Vlk

Claus, I think that says Barley MIX, not MEX.  And the wood which appears to be nailed on?  I think the consigners we worried that the door would flex enough to let the load leak out at the bottom sides of the doors, so they improvised a “clamp” to hold it tight.

Schuyler

C&NW 81226 36ft ds trussrod box in Mexico 1922, Is there a temporary repair or other expedient on the lower part of the door? Perhaps to deal with a broken door mechanism? Note the chalk mark that might read "Barley Mex" but I could be wrong.

We also get partial views of boxcar SP 21580 and a ss C&NW boxcar.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Now that you mention it, Charlie, it does look a little “peaked.”

It’s the variety of cars in these early photos that makes the era appealing . . .

Schuyler