Topics

C&NW colors uploaded

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

I uploaded 9 color swatches from C&NW box car photo
scans so you can see the range of colors over time,
under different lighting conditions and paint schemes.
I don't know how to combine them into one file, which
would allow much easier side by side comparison. If
any one feels so included, please combine them and
repost them to the colors folder...

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@attbi.com>
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Ken Adams

Tim O'Conner et all

This was found on a search the files for STMFC.

I am in the process of enhancing an Accurail AAR 41 foot gondola into a reasonable facsimile of a CNW 130701-131600 1948 build car but found that the old yahoo groups STMF Files/Colors/cnw1-9 jpg's do  not appear to have made the transition to groups.io either as files or photos. It does not appear to be on the old STMFC website either.

Any suggestions for prototype color photos are needed as I am trying to determine what shade of Vallejo Model Color brown to wash over a Tamiya oxide primer base to reasonably produce a CNW Freight Car brown as it would appear when the car is about 2-6 years old.  Note that I do not use an air brush so TCP paints or other air brush application required paints are of no use to me.

The car body is currently primed but I am waiting for Ted Culotta's CNW gondola decals and Molocco Barber S-2 trucks to arrive.
--
Ken Adams

gary laakso

Part One of Jeffrey Koehler article in the May, 2005 issue of Mainline Modeler on page 43 stated ...”The North Western’s 11-panel gondolas were painted in the company’s standard freight car color (a fairly bright oxide red) with white lettering and black/white heralds.”

On Nov 29, 2020, at 3:53 PM, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops, forgot my name as Bailey the Bengal tapped the iPadd.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

On Nov 29, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Gary <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gary for pointing that out. I missed it in spite of several reads of the article.

This is the Accurail gondola body in the Tamiya Red Oxide Primer. Perhaps it could qualify as a "fairly bright oxide red".

--
Ken Adams

gary laakso

That will be the color that I use on the two in-line following the W&LE, ACL and the P&WV gondolas, all of which are black.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock